Chapter Seven: A Visit from Jeremy

“Hi,” Ian’s voice echoed from behind me as I scooped the bugs from out of his pool. I hadn’t realized anyone was home. He scared me so much that I nearly fell in the pool. He couldn’t just pop up behind people like that. It was way too early to sneak up on anyone. 

“Didn’t mean to scare you,” he said as he squeezed my shoulder. “I brought you a cup of lemonade. It’s on the table if you’re thirsty. Don’t work too hard.”

“Thanks,” I replied as he walked over towards his patio table, taking a seat. He sat there, typing on his computer as I finished up his pool. It was weird having him sitting outside just a few feet away from me. I could feel his eyes on me every so often. I think I preferred when he was pissed at me and left my money in the mailbox. It was less awkward.

After I returned Ian’s pool tools, I brushed my hands against my jeans and grabbed the lemonade from the table, gulping it down happily. 

It was about ninety degrees outside, and sweat was dripping down my neck. I felt disgusting. We were already hitting some of the hottest days of the summer, and it was only June. 

“Any big plans for the weekend?” Ian asked curiously, his eyes not leaving his computer screen. “I hear your mother is going out of town.”

“Nothing major,” I replied casually. “My boyfriend is coming up today for the weekend.”

Ian closed his laptop shut as soon as I mentioned my boyfriend. “Oh? Well that’s something. You must have a pretty special weekend planned.”

I shook my head, as I placed the glass on the table. “No. Not really. We’re probably just going to hang out. What about you?”

Ian shrugged. “I’m probably just going to be writing. Alan is away. He’s going to be in New York until Sunday. So it’ll just be me, my novel and Hercules.”

“Well I hope you have a productive weekend,” I said politely. Even small talk between Ian and I was weird. It would take time though. Time was all we needed to move past this awkward phase. Hopefully, Ian and I would be able to be friends again - some day. 

“Don’t forget your money,” Ian said opening his wallet and handing me one hundred dollars. 

“It’s only fifty,” I replied about to hand him the bill back. Ian shook his head. 

“Consider it a bonus,” he insisted, pushing my hand away. “Take your boyfriend somewhere nice.”

“Thanks,” I nodded, waving to him as I walked out of his backyard. I shoved the bill into my back pocket as I slowly walked on the sidewalk towards my house. Jeremy was going to be here any second. I should have been happier, but I couldn’t get my mind off of Ian. He was being so nice about everything. I just wish things were different between us. Out of all weekends, he had to be home alone, while I was with Jeremy. Now all I could think about was him sitting in his house by himself working on his novel. He’d no doubt be thinking about me. 

Fuck. I hated that I still had feelings for him. Maybe I just needed to see Jeremy. Hopefully, he’d take my mind off of Ian. 

As soon as I walked into my driveway, a taxi cab pulled up. Perfect timing. I chewed on my lip as Jeremy walked out of the cab, slinging his bag across his shoulder. A wide grin appeared on his face as soon as he saw me. I smiled back, grabbing his other bag from his hand as he paid the taxi driver. 

There was something different about him. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it until I walked behind him. He had cut his hair. His shoulder length blonde hair was gone. There was not one strand of hair covering his neck.