Bad Blood in Blank Spaces

RECAP

"Be careful, Carolina! It's filled with electricity!" Josh yelled. "We can't leave, but we got everything that will last us for a long time. Let's make the most of it."

"If you insist, Joshua." I sighed and turned the television on. Orange is the New Black was playing and I curled up on the couch, away from Josh.

"You know I hate being called Joshua. It's what my abus-"

"Abusive father called you?" I had to interrupt Josh. "So that's why you came to class all bruised up every day then?"

Josh looked down and started to cry.

END RECAP (CAROLINA'S POV)

So, the doorknobs that lead to the outside works are electrified. Smart move on their part. But, how much longer am I stuck with drummer boy? He's crying, so I guess I should talk to him. I put a hand on his shoulder and lifted his chin.

"Josh. I'm sorry I called you that. I forgot that you had a father like that. I bet he was the one who started the rivalry." I grabbed a tissue and gave it to Josh.

"Yeah, our dads were friends for a long time. But something happened and now they're rivals. Which is why we're supposed to hate each other." Josh wiped a tear off his face. "It was my father's fault it even started. He was the one who... Who... I can't say it."

"What, Josh? Tell me!" I begged.

JOSH'S POV

How can I tell her that my father killed her mother. How can do it without hurting her feelings?

"There was a murder. A loss in your life that started it all." I started to explain. Alright, I got to keep going. "It was your mother that was murdered by... By..."

"By who, Josh? The way you're telling me this seems like the killer was someone close to you. I don't like it already." Carolina's eyes started to tear up. She decided to curl up into a ball.

"It was someone close to me. It was my father. He was the one who killed your mother. Your father got furious and called the cops once he found her body in her kitchen. He came over for some dinner. It was your parents and my parents. You were at Sam's and Natalie was with you both as well. So, you were safe from the fear and violence. I was with my friend, Joseph. So, I wasn't exposed to the violence either. Your father went to get a tie from his room to complete an outfit and my mother went out to buy one last ingredient for the fruit salad. Strawberries, which everyone loved. Your mother went to make sure everything else was ready and then my father shot her in the back twice and once again in the head to make sure she was dead. He then ran out of the house.
Your father came back to the kitchen after hearing the gunshots and saw your mother's body, calling the cops. He was so scared and torn that he lost the love of his life. The suspects were my father, my mother and a neighbor who saw your mother fall. My father was arrested and sentenced to life. Our fathers were yelling at each other a week after the arrest and my father said the unthinkable. He said, 'My son better turn into a man like me and kill your daughter.' Your father disagreed and that started the rivalry our families are cursed with to this day."

Carolinas tears were downpouring and she was crying a river. She ran off to her room and I reached for the phone pressing the number 6.

"Harry, put the phone on speaker. I need advice from you and whoever is with you."

HARRY'S POV

This can't be good. Josh wants advice, so I put the phone on speaker.

"Josh, you are on speaker and Sam is with me. What's going on?" I asked.

"I told Carolina that my father killed her mother." Josh started to explain.

The other phone rang and Sam picked it up. "Carolina, why the tears?" Sam asked.

"And you don't know how to cheer her up? Give her some alone time, then talk to her." I advise. "She's confused and torn by Devine. I feel bad for her, but did you tell her the motive of her mother's murder?"

"I can't because I don't know why he killed her. Look, I need to think. I'll call later. Bye." Josh hang up.

"Sam, put your line on speaker." I request of Sam.

"Hang on, Lina. I'm putting you on speaker. Harry is with me." Sam puts the phone on speaker. All we hear is crying and sniffling.

"I can't believe he did that to my mother. My father said she was in a car accident, but after hearing the truth I wish it was a car accident." Carolina cried. "How much longer until I'm out?"

"Carolina, I bet this made it harder for you to trust him. But, it honestly could be worse." I sigh. Sam smacks my arm.

"What Harry is saying is your mother lived a happy life. She had you and your father, both she loved so much. It's hard to hear from someone you want to to trust that their father killed your mother. But, I want you to try your hardest to see that Josh didn't kill your mother. It's all his father's fault and Josh agrees with that. So, I want you to stop crying and talk to Josh when you feel ready, okay?" Sam encouraged Carolina to relax.

"Thanks, Sam. When I get out, I'm giving you the biggest hug ever!" Carolina hangs up.

Sam looks over at me and my mouth is hanging open. She puts a hand under my chin and closes my mouth.

"We are not codfish, Harry." Sam giggled and went back to work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry it's a short chapter. This is to let you know I am still alive! I am leaving for Costa Rica July 29 and won't be back until August 10. I promise to try to do as much as I can before I leave. I love you all and I hate to disappoint you.

So please: VOTE, COMMENT and FOLLOW ME (I follow back!)