Chapter 7

August

I had a luh time ta' think about Bre and Shai befo' yesta'day. I believe that's why I was so calm. I was angry at first. Afta' a long talk with God, I got myself ta'getha' and I realized that being mad wasn't gon' make tha' situation any betta'.

When I was growin' up, I vowed ta' myself that I would be tha' fatha' I needed to be to my seed no matta' tha' circumstance. I longed fa' that "fatha' son" relationship, but that wasn't something I had comin' up. I would neva' eva' want my child to be in tha' same position I was in. I know the situation is a luh different but it's tha same concept.

I had tha intention of lettin' Shai feel my wrath yesta'day. Until she told me tha' things she went thru' and sacrificed ta' make sho' Bre had what she needed. Even tho' I've always had a soft spot fa'Shai, she earned so much mo' respect from me by doin' that.

Today is tha' day I meet babygirl. I pray everything goes well. I'm not nervous or none of that shit. I'm just anxious ta' properly meet my daughta'.

-I'm on the way
9:23 a.m
Shai

"Breeeeeeee! Wake up babe!" She smiled and turned over putting her head back under the cover.

I went to the end of her bed and lifted the comforter. Before I could attempt tickling her feet she quickly sat up. "Okaaaaay! I'm up!"

I left her to get ready for today so I could start breakfast. Halfway down the stairs, I heard my phone ding indicating I had a message.

From AUGUST (9:23 a.m) : I'm on the way

To AUGUST (9:24 a.m) : Okay, I just woke Bre up. Call me when you're outside.

I put my phone back on the charger and got the eggs and sausage out to finish breakfast. I'd already put the biscuits in the oven; so, they'll be done by the time I finish the eggs and sausage. 

"Ma! What am I supposed to put on!?" Bre yelled from the top of the stairs.

I poured the eggs into the skillet. "I laid your clothes on my bed. Find the shoes you want to wear!"

Minutes later she came down fully dressed. The food was done and all I had to do was get her fed and tame that bush on her head.

"Bre your food is on the table!"

"Okay! Your phone is ringing."

She handed me my phone on the way to the table.

"Hold on August" I answered.

I held the phone away from my ear. "Bre do you want jelly for your biscuit or syrup?"

"Jelly"

"Strawberry or Grape?" I asked walking toward the refrigerator.

"Uhhhm, Strawberry"

I handed her the jelly and returned to my phone call. "Hello"

"I'm at tha do', rudeness." He said.

"I'm sorry, I'm coming" I ended the call and headed to the front of my apartment. I opened the door to Aug mugging me.

"I'm sorry. I had to get it for her."

"Whateva', you gone invite a nigga in or nah?"

"Come on." I opened the door wider and stepped to the side so he could come in.

"We'a she at?" He asked.

"She's eating. Would you like breakfast?"

"If I eat what you cooked... Ima need a couple shots of Patron." He burst out in laughter.