Chapter 10 - Back to Where It Began

Hey guys, as a little present to you all I decided to write this chapter after Crystal Grace's. I think a double chapter is in order and for this one so I'm going to try and take a leaf out of Winter's book and make this chapter personal. I tried it before and it went down well (apart from the usual sudden ending) but for this chapter I'm not going to write a cliffhanger. I know, shocker but I want to try this out so please let me know what you think. This chapter is going to be extremely hard to write for me, probably one of the hardest ever but I'm gonna try. Don't be surprised if I'm offline for a few hours afterwards. Either way, I hope this works! Sorry if it's a bit long.

Enjoy!

Cap'n

The Captain was tired. Not just because she hadn't had a good night sleep in 3 days. She was tired of getting hurt. No matter who or what they faced, either she or Winter got hurt in the worst ways imaginable. It was a pattern which always seemed to get worse. She eyed her best friend who was still sleeping after the sudden effects of the imagination draining from the recent battle. The Captain began to fiddle with her key which hung on a long chain around her neck and thought about everything. Ever since the start of the Writer's Block, something bad happened. Be it dealing with the Great One, memory loss, Infernus, The Kraken or even the Great One's new 'predecessor', things always seemed to turn on it's head when they needed each other the most and put either one or even both out of action. The Captain was fed up of it.

It felt to her like the universe was against her in some way, especially when it came to problem solving or villain vanquishing. But she knew exactly what Winter felt on the matter, she could almost picture her reply.

'Whatever consequences that happen are down to your decisions alone, not some freakish universe thing."

Basically, screw Karma.

That made the Captain think.

Did that mean all of her decisions up to now were wrong?

No, the Book of Souls was never wrong. But, what was that strange power surge earlier? Perhaps we've been too reliant on the book and it needs a break? No, that's never happened before. Unless... She stared at the red key in front of her as she slowly spun it around in her fingers. She'd always liked the bright red ruby in the middle of the key, but now it looked dull and slightly misshapen.