Chapter 9

Sidney felt a raging attack of uncontrollable jealousy.

So he went back to her.

He had warned her he was bringing a date.

Did it have to be that bloody drop dead gorgeous redhead? Damn you Chase.

'You've gone very quiet,' her date Taylor Parker, laid his hand casually on her arm.

It was a miracle that Taylor had called her and wanted to know if they could do dinner as he was in London. Taylor was one of the Americans she had met in Gankoyama. He was built like a wrestler, big broad shoulders. His hair very short military style. He played gridiron football as a pastime. Judging by his huge frame, he played a lot of gridiron football. She liked Taylor. He was friendly, with a sharp sense of humor and such a gentleman. The gentleman thing she liked, he shared that with Chase. It was the only reason he was the only one she had exchanged contact numbers with.  She felt safe with Taylor, he would not take advantage of her. Sidney was not looking for a relationship. She was definitely not looking for sex. She had nobody else to compare Chase's lovemaking with, but right now in her life, nobody else would have that privilege. From the corner of her eye, she could see Chase going around the room, greeting their former colleagues. She smiled and shrugged.

'Can I get you a fresh drink?' Taylor smiled at Sidney, pointing to her empty glass.

'I'd love another thank __.'

'Sidney?'
She felt the heat run through her body. At the same time she felt a cold shiver run down her spine. Goosebumps appeared on her arms. She wished she already had that drink in her hand.

'Chase, hi,' she looked into those dark sensuous eyes and both of them were lost.

Chase recovered quickly, gazing questioningly at her partner.

She took the bait, 'Taylor, meet Chase Rennard. Chase, this is Taylor Parker.'

The men shook hands.

Their eyes locked.

They stood head to head, eye to eye.

Sidney watched the cold war in each man's eyes, until Chase's date, touched him, and Chase reluctantly looked away.

'Sidney, I'd like you to meet Zia Bates. Zia meet Sidney Barrington and Taylor Parker.'

'How do you do?' Sidney called on nerves of steel to extend a hand politely. 'Miss Barrington,' the redhead greeted without a smile, icy contempt in her eyes when she looked at Sidney, and then dismissively turn her charm on Chase.

'Darling how about that drink?' she spread her palm possessively on Chase's chest.

Sidney could not control the seething feeling that ripped at her heart.

Chase nodded as they walked away.

'Was it my imagination or did the temperature just drop like twenty degrees in here?' Taylor murmured perceptively.

'Don't ask,' Sidney smiled wryly.

Sidney circled the room with Taylor, making polite conversations with her former colleagues, but she had one eye on the redhead, who made a public display of possession of Chase, and he made no effort what so ever to ward off her attention.

Sidney watched them unobtrusively from her corner. Chase was leaning casually at the bar. Miss Bates had her arm inside his jacket around his waist. Chase's head was lowered, a smile on his lips as he listened to his redhead.

Do I have to put up with this?

Sidney laid her hand casually on Taylor's arm, 'excuse me a moment, I'm going to the ladies,' Sidney smiled politely.