Chapter 6

New York, New York…..

Sidney recalled the title of the old Sinatra song, though she did not know much of the lyrics.

She could not believe she was in Chase’s private jet and on her way to New York. She’d never been on that side of the Atlantic.  But she was more nervous about the star studded charity ball that Chase was escorting her to.

The Platinum Charity Ball?’ she had exclaimed, when Chase told her about it. One could only get in by invitation. A plate of food costed a six digit figure. At first Sidney refused to go, she knew it was only billionaires, the who’s who of Hollywood, politicians and royalty the world over that attended those rather exclusive functions.

She felt her cheeks warm at remembering the manner Chase had seduced her into saying yes in the only way he knew, to get the response he required from her. And she had capitulated. How could she have said no when he laid over her withholding his love, holding held her to ransom that way.
Chase had also insisted on buying her a designer gown. She had no idea her boyfriend was so au fait with ladies haute couture. He had summoned three designers, and had been adamant on how the dress should be designed. And to his credit it was exquisite and complimented her to perfection. And just when she thought he had outdone himself, he presented her with a diamond necklace, she was certain cost more money than she could earn in ten years. She had been vehement in her refusal of such an extravagant piece of jewelry, but Chase assured her that every woman there would be dressed in diamonds, and she would not feel like a duck out of water. But truth be told, she felt out of depth. 

She sighed nervously, looking at her watch.  In less than half an hour, they would be touching down.  Very soon she should go into Chase’s suite and put on the exquisite gown and the diamonds. Sidney stared blankly at the page of the spy novel she was reading. For an hour now she was still on the same page. She cast a quick glance at Chase. His head was lowered, he was engrossed in reports and graphs and all things to do with his many projects.

Sidney could not believe they were still in a relationship. It was fourteen months ago, that he demanded they see each other exclusively. And yet she took each day as it came, she always suspected that Chase would end their affair, but amazingly it was still going on. They knew each other intimately, knew how to pleasure each other.

She knew when he needed conversation.
She knew when he just wanted solace.

She thought Chase would tire of her after six months, but the sex just got better every time they were together. She still held her breath when he walked into a room.  And all his resistance still crumbled, when she laid her arms around him.

Yet recently Sidney felt despondent in their relationship. She loved him with every fibre in her entire body and had told him so repeatedly, but fourteen months later she had never heard those words from Chase’s lips. She had expected their relationship to elevate to some higher level after a year but it had not. Oh she was not expecting wedding bells just yet, although she would not be adverse to it, if Chase proposed.  But what she would have given, just once to hear him say,  “I love you.”

To his credit he was faithful and did not once look at another woman, but she needed more.  She wanted more.

At some stage she wanted marriage. She wanted to have a child. Chase’s child. She doubted she could love another man. So could she marry another man, to fulfill her desire to have children.  The thought frightened her that she was contemplating a life without Chase.

‘You should get dressed.  We have began our descent,’ Chase knelt down next to the seat she was curled up on.  His lips reaching hers to press a light kiss there.