Chapter Twenty - Say Something - Jackson POV

I left the house not knowing what to think or feel. I didn't want to have all these asinine thoughts running through my head, not now. I didn't know what she meant though, I just knew it was bad. The concrete ground was cold beneath my bare feet. I tossed up going inside to get shoes, but ultimately I needed to speak to my cousin. Now.

Why had Amber been so cagey? Daniel's main aim in life up until a couple of months ago was getting laid. He lived for liking girls.

Maybe they had done something on their date after all? My stomach churned at the thought of Daniel touching Amber like that. Amber had said it hadn't and I believed her. I trusted her.

I climbed into my car and pulled out of the driveway. I forced myself to concentrate on the road as I drove to Daniels place. His car was pulling in to the drive as I arrived. I parked on the road and walked up the path until we stood a few feet apart. He looked over at me and smiled.

"Hey bro? I just got back from tutoring." He mused. "You want a drink?"

"Funny story." I began, ignoring his question. "My girlfriend just mentioned you in idle conversation."

"That's funny why?" he replied, clearly confused.

"She mentioned you liking someone. I was under the impression you like a lot of girls."

Daniel laughed uncomfortably then pointed inside. "Yeah, something like that. You want to come inside?"

I shook my head, he was acting as standoffish as Amber had, maybe even more so. He was hiding something, and it dawned on me like a lightning bolt hitting the highest point. Hana.

"Daniel." I said calmly. "What was Amber about to say?"

"My tutor. I like my tutor." He murmured.

I rolled my eyes, offended by his attempt to pull the wool over my eyes. I knew him too well, I knew he was lying, he was hiding something.

"Dude. We've known each other our entire lives. Tell me the goddamned truth." I said, my voice was as cold as the fear running through my veins.

"Fine." Daniel replied, completely exasperated. "It was me."

It was him? Him what? He stood up straight and braced himself, like he was waiting for something. I shook my head. "You what?"

"I was the guy Hana was with." He said, his voice was quiet, but he may as well have been shouting at the top of his lungs. His admission pierced me through the heart, and winded my gut. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't think. I looked down at the ground, sickened by the mere sight of someone who was meant to have my back, not stab it.

"I'm sorry Jackson. I was an idiot, I didn't think. I was a horrible friend."

"Shut up." I pleaded. Hearing his voice was like fingernails down a chalkboard right now.

"I tried to make it right, I stopped seeing her, and I tried to help you... I – "

I looked up, Daniel looked worried and weak. It occurred to me that I'd never seen him look weak. He was always the bigger one, the stronger one, but not now. I grabbed him by the collar of his shirt, and he braced himself again, readying himself for a physical standoff. I wanted to punch him, I want to knock the wind out of him the way he had me. I restrained myself though, I didn't want to fall to his level. I released him and stepped back.

"I never want to speak to you ever again Daniel. You're dead to me."

Daniel's mouth dropped open and he held his hand out. "Bro... please, It was a mistake."