Who? (A Doctor Who Fanfic)

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN DOCTOR WHO. ONLY JAZMINE AND MAYBE A FEW MADE UP MONSTERS THROUGHOUT THE STORY.

I hope you enjoy!

A sharp and loud ringing woke me up from my dream. I sat up quickly, frightened and realized that I, being stupid me, had fallen asleep in a way where my ear was right on top of my phone speaker. "Caramba" I said, in Spanish, rubbing my ear. I looked at the time on my five dollar pre-paid phone and sighed loudly. Not only had I seen the time but also the date. Today was the day I had to turn in the money for my rent. The money I didn't have. The rent that, if I didn't pay, would end with me living on the street. I quickly dressed in my bright yellow shirt and jeans for work. I applied some sort of hair product to calm my long, pitch black curls, put on some light makeup and slung my purse over my shoulder. It hung loosely over my body leaving the bag rubbing and bouncing against my hip with every step I took. 

After brushing my teeth, I slipped on my shoes and walked out, locking the door behind me. I turn around and almost bump in to my ex-boyfriend, my landlord. He stood a whole foot and a half taller then me and my small fragile form.  

"What do you want, Robert?" I snapped 

"My money, Jazmine" He answered with a devious smile. He smelt of cigarettes and alcohol but was still highly attractive.  

"I'll have it tonight" I explained, standing up tall and meeting his eyes. He chuckled. Without another word, I walked away and headed towards my job right across the street. Halfway there I heard a noise. It sounded like a small child learning how to whistle yet it sounded entirely mechanical. I stopped in the grassy area outside my work. The sound sounded strangely familiar. I didn't remember hearing it before yet it sounded like I heard it so many times before. It bugged me but I continued on, making sure I wasn't too late, even though I already was.  

I walked into the restaurant through the back door and grabbed my hat from the rack on the wall. "You're late" my manager, Nancy said. Nancy was strict and couldn't stand it when someone was late. I knew I wouldn't be able to make an excuse for this time so I placed the hat on my head and took my position in front of the register. 

"I can take the next person in line" I stated directing it to the next guy in line. He walked up to the counter and continued to stare at the menu above my head. His hair was cut short other than the bangs that were styled to make him look proper and presentable, way too sophisticated to be having breakfast at this place. He wore a suit and a black bow tie. I looked at his eyes and gasped. I dropped the pen that I was holding.  

"John Smith" I said surprised. He gave me a smile.  

"Jazmine Elizabeth Guerrro. It's been quite a while since I have seen you. Is that correct?" He asked with a thick and heavy English accent. However, I can't judge. It might of become less prominent over the years but you could still clearly tell that English was not my first language. I was comfortable with it though.  

"Yes." I clarified, slightly confused. It seemed like he didnt know where he was. He didn't look me in the eye yet I could see tears forming in his eyes.  

Without asking, I told Nancy( who was standing around, watching me like a hawk) "This guy wants an interview with me. It might take a while" She glared daggers at me but soon saw how official John looked and lightened her tone.  

"Of course!" she said with a smile. I snorted, stepped aside and led John to a table where we could talk in relative privacy. Before I could sit down though he wrapped his arms around me and held me there for a few seconds. I broke away first, confusion etched on my face. He looked down at me and sat down. My mouth opened to say something but he stopped me.  

"Look I just want you to know that I'm sorry. I couldn't save you." He murmured to me. "I just wanted you to know that you are, were, absolutely brilliant" Tears stung his voice. My heart went out to him. What he was saying didn't make much sense but I did know he needed comforting. Luckily it was still quite early and not many people had shown up for breakfast this morning.  

"Everything will be okay. I'm sure of it. We met years ago when I was a little orphan girl wandering the desert, trying to stay alive. If you weren't there, if you didn't persuade the others. to get me a green card here, the Mexican government would've taken me back and left me to live on the streets. It's because of you that I have the life I have now" I explained to him, "I am forever grateful for what you did for me. You taught me that everything gets better, no matter how hard things get" As I said this my accent began to strengthen and I stumbled over the words, but they were still understandable. John smiled at me and put his hand on my cheek. Then, out of nowhere, like he could not contain himself any longer, his lips touched mine.  

My eyes widened at the kiss but they soon closed. I opened them again realizing what was going on and pulled away. I wanted to slap him but my body would let me. I just sat there like an idiot. I was just kissed by a guy that was at least 20 years older than me. I looked at him surprised and he withdrew, like he had just realized what he did. John quickly got up and walked away.  

"John!" I called and followed him outside. "You can't just kiss me and walk away without a word!"  

"I'll see you soon" He said, still walking. I sighed loudly, turned around, and walked back towards the restaurant. Knowing that I was going to get grilled with questions from Nancy when I got back, I began to think of some just for her benefit.  

That's when I heard it again. The rhythmic pounding of mechanical whistling. I ran around the store and looked for the sound. Nothing. Nothing was there, at least nothing that would make that noise. I walked back in and took my spot at the counter again. Nancy didn't ask anything, however she was nicer than she usually was.