AEAI 19

Stretching, I walk in the door after a long day at work. Even though Monday was boring, we got a case yesterday and it took a while. But we ended up getting another confession today. Now, it’s nine at night and I’m ready for bed.

“Hey babe,” I hear my boyfriend say as I drop my keys in the bowl on the counter. “There’s some leftover taco stuff in the fridge.” His arms wrap around my waist as he places a simple kiss on my lips, “We ran out of taco shells, but there are tortilla chips in the cabinet. I can make you a taco salad.”

Returning the kiss quickly, I nod, “That would be perfect. You mind if I jump in the shower?”

“Not at all.”

Pressing our mouths together another time, I hum.

We detached so that we can go our separate ways.

My shower doesn’t take too long. I just wanted to relax a little bit.

As I’m eating, I look over to my boyfriend, “I’m going to bed soon.”

“Want me to come with you?” he asks, looking up from his book.

I shrug, “If you want to. I’m just tired today. I’m not on call tonight so I should get a full night sleep. I’m going to take my contacts out and everything.”

He chuckles, “Don’t go crazy or anything.”

I take the last bite of my food, chewing and swallowing, before pressing my lips to his. Standing, I take my bowl over to the sink to wash it out.

“Leave it there, babe,” Henry says from the living room. “I’ll wash it before I come to bed. I just want to finish this chapter.”

“Night, babe,” I tell him as I make my way to get ready to sleep.

-----

I suddenly wake in the middle of the night to the shrill of my cell phone. I try to look at the screen, but realize I took my contacts out and can’t see a damn thing. I put my finger on the blurry green splotch hoping that it’s the answer button.

Apparently, I hit it because it stops ringing as I put it to my face, “Hello?”

I hear Henry moan next to me as he scoots closer, wraps his arms around my torso, and places his head on my chest.

“Ashton, we need you down here,” is the answer I get.

“Who is this?” I ask as I wipe the back of my hand against my eyes.

There’s a sigh and then, “It’s Duke. Captain told me to call you and get you down here.”

“I don’t believe you,” I tell blatantly.

But as soon as I go to hang up, I hear him say, “Listen. I wouldn’t believe me if I were you, but I’m not lying.”

“Why did Captain want you to call me?”

“I was on call tonight,” he explains. “Got called in about an hour ago. When I got here I found something and called Captain. He told me to call you and Sanders to get you down here. Would have called you himself, but he’s on his way too. My partner couldn’t call you because he’s up to his elbows in bystanders. And Captain says to keep it in the department as much as possible. If you don’t believe me that’s fine, but it’s your job.”

As he talks, I put my hand out to find my glasses. Once they’re perched on my face, I look at the clock, “It’s three in the morning.”

“You’re telling me,” he huffs.

“And this can’t wait a few hours until I have to be at work?”

“Nope,” he says it like it’s the simplest conclusion.