AEAI 5 - Hasn't Even Happened Yet.

“I hope you’re well rested,” Sanders calls out as I walk into the squad room. “We got a break in the case.”

Holding up my coffee that I just took a sip of, I say, “I’m always rested enough for a break.”

“Good,” he stands from his desk across from mine, “don’t even sit down. We’re leaving.”

“You weren’t kidding,” I ask as we walk out to his car.

He smiles, “Not even a little bit.”

When we’re in the car and on our way is when I question him. He tells me that one of Jack’s friends called in an hour ago and said they’d seen a gun in her boyfriend’s apartment. And that is where we’re headed now; to the boyfriend’s place. In the time from when he got the call, to the time I got there, Sanders already had a warrant in his hand. Being on the force for so long gets you connections, I guess.

As soon as we get there, the boyfriend gets defensive. We show him the warrant and he actually punches my partner in the gut.

That’s one thing I will never understand – hitting a cop. There’s always another one right behind him who’s not going to let you get away with it.

As Sanders regains his breath, I tackle the guy to the ground. And maybe a little too forcefully, I detain him. He’s in handcuffs when I pull him to his feet and toss him over to a uniform. I pat Sanders on the back and he nods.

It isn’t hard to find the weapon in question. And if we didn’t have probable cause beforehand, the dude punching a detective definitely gave it to us. We take him and his gun back to the station for questioning.

The hours that it takes to get the gun looked over, we grill the boyfriend. He proves pretty hostile the entire time. Cursing and spitting and yelling; it’s really a grand site. All in all, he’s really not helping his case at all. Eventually the lab work comes back and the gun is a match to the one that killed Jack.

By the time the search, questioning, processing, and paperwork it’s a thirteen hour day.

“Take a few days off, Ashton,” Captain calls from him office as I’m standing to leave. “It’s good work you’ve done. Take a little time to be with your family or friends or whatever. We’ll see you back here on Wednesday.”

“Wow Captain,” I say as I grab my jacket from the back of my chair. “Thank you, but I don’t think I need three days off. I don’t want it to seem like-”

“Don’t flatter yourself, kid,” he chuckles and points at my partner who’s still swinging around in his chair. “I want Sanders to take some time with his family. And the only way I know he’ll stay gone is if I make you sit out too.”

Pulling my coat on, I ask, “Are you sure? I could-”

“If you don’t leave right now,” he threatens, “and if I see you before Wednesday, I’ll put you on traffic duty.”

“You got it, Captain,” I tell him with a mock salute and turn on my heels to head out.

The ride back home is relaxing and almost energizing. Maybe, I can make it home before the girls go out.

Shutting the front door behind me, I hear that it’s exceptionally quiet. Henry sits up from the spot that he was lying (probably reading) on the blue couch.

“Hey,” I greet as I take my jacket off. He nods back to which I say, “Where are the girls?”

“They just left,” he answers. “But, if you call them now, you could probably catch them.”