AEAI 7 - Dad Has To Be Right.

We end up deciding that we are going to have everyone over. But instead of worrying about what we’re going to feed them, we order pizza. Henry tries to opt out, but the girls give him the puppy-dog look until he caves. I think it was more that they were pressuring him than the actual look.

As it turns out, with twelve people, four couches and an armchair are just enough seating. Ella and Toby share ‘the beast’ next to my favorite red couch with Aunt Becca, Auntie Riel and Uncle Tripp. (Oddly, they told me at one point that Becca and Riel didn’t like each other. Now, they’re closer to each other than they are to my fathers.) Maya and Brie are on the brown couch in the middle. Dad, Pops, and Nikki are squeezed into the green couch. And finally, I’m sitting with Henry, who still can’t look me in the eye, on his blue couch.

The good news is that he was really good about meeting all the parents. He shook all their hands and introduced himself. He has even held conversation when they start one. I’m not sure he could actually bring something up if it was asked of him, but he’s really trying.

Dad really seems to like him. Every time I catch his eye, Dad raises his eyebrows and motions his head in Henry’s direction. After a while, I narrow my eyes at him, trying to convey ‘shut the hell up’. I’m not sure it works. And by not sure I mean, Dad’s a jerk.

As the conversation continues, (it’s mostly everyone else telling Henry stories about things they’ve done or seen in ‘the business’) I start to pick up some of the discarded paper plates. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Henry start to stand. I know that he’s going to try to help. So before he can, I put my free hand to his chest and push him back down.

When he looks up at me questioningly, I whisper, “They’re getting a kick out of trying to impress you. Just go with it. I can take care of this.”

He nods a little, but then turns his attention to the next story.

“Let me help you with that, son,” Dad says as my hands become full.

Unlike Henry, I know there's no way to talk him out of it. “Alright,” I arch an eyebrow at him quizzically.

It really is only a few plates. And they’re paper. All I have to do it throw them away.

He follows me to the kitchen after grabbing a few. When I try to leave, he grabs my arm and pulls me back. For being as old as he is, he definitely has some muscle left.

“You really like him,” he accuses quietly, nodding toward the living room.

I smirk and shake my head, “You’re really going to have to be more specific. Pops? Yea, he’s a great guy.”

"You're your father's son." He smirks back at me and lets go of my arm, “You know who I mean.”

“I don’t want to talk about it,” I sigh and run a hand throw my hair.

“Why won’t you like him?” He asks looking straight into my eye, no smile in sight.

“It’s not that easy, Dad,” I shake my head. “First off, he’s my roommate. I can’t exactly sleep with him. He’ll still be around the next day.”

He smacks my shoulder and gives me a dirty look, “What the hell is wrong with you?”

“I’m so confused right now,” I admit trying to keep my voice down. “First you tell me I like him. Now you’re telling me that I can’t like him?”

“Liking someone and sleeping with someone are completely different,” he whisper yells.

“You’ve lost me.”

He takes a deep breath and pitches the bridge of his nose, “You are just like your father.”

They both say that every time I do something they don’t like.