AEAI 13

It’s during dessert that I lean back in my chair and look over at my stunning date. The whole night has been amazing. The conversation is as fluid as the champagne. We’ve been laughing and talking like we’ve known each other for years. The waiter has been really great about being around when we need him, but not too much to where we can’t enjoy our time together. And Henry; he’s been smiling all night.

His smile does something to my heart.

“Why did you kiss me out there?” It comes out of my mouth without thinking. I just feel like I need to know. This wonderful man in front of me has been timid the last week or so, but tonight he took charge. So, I clarify, “Not that I’m complaining.”

His cheek only pink slightly as he answers, “I’m not sure.” He looks down at his dessert, “I just kept hearing them say I was your boyfriend. But then I heard one of them say I was just another fling or something and I just wanted to prove them wrong.” He looks up at me from under his eyelashes, “At least, I hope so.”

“That guy was wrong,” I nod and lean closer to him. “I really want this to work.”

He nods, sitting back in his chair, “Can I tell you something?”

“Of course.”

“It’s just that,” he sighs and scoots his chair closer to the table. He extends his hands towards me and I take them without question. He trails his thumbs over my knuckles, looking there instead of up into my eyes, “I told you before that I’ve never wanted to be with anyone.” He swallows loudly, but doesn’t look up, “Well this is all terrifying for me because now… I do.”

Henry’s eyes then trail up to stare into mine. He does look scared, but also like he’s decided something.

I’m quick to shake my head and turn our hands so that I can intertwine our fingers, “Since you told me about not wanting to be with anyone, I’ve been thinking about it a lot. I think about you a lot,” I admit with a shrug. “But, if I’m honest,” I look straight into his eyes, “I understand that more than I first thought. Where you meant you didn’t have the urge to be with anyone at all; I’ve never wanted to stay with anyone.” I sigh and shake my head, “I’m no good with words, Henry, but try to hear me out.”

He smirks and nods for me to continue.

“Before you came around, I was all about the fast life. I never really thought about it because I never really cared about the people I was with,” my eyes shoot open at my own statement. “I mean-”

My date chuckles and shakes his head, moving his hands back so he can hold onto mine again, “You’ve told me who you were. I’m not going to run now.”

Then I get an idea, “You want to go for a walk? We can just walk back to the apartment. If we leave out the back, the paparazzi won’t know.”

He nods his head and says, “That sounds nice.”

I quickly get our waiters attention and pay the check. When he returns with my receipt, I ask if we can sneak out back. He tells us we can and to wait a few minutes so he can grab a manager to help us. True to his word, a female manager shows up minutes later and escorts us out.

“Shit,” I stop as we get to the back door. Henry raises an eyebrow, but I turn to the manager, “Is there any way you could tell our driver that we don’t need him anymore?”

“Of course, sir,” she says with a smile. “Is that anything else?”

I dig my wallet from my back pocket and hand her a hundred dollar bill, “Give this to him as a tip. I’ll call him to let him know we don’t need him as well so he doesn’t get suspicious.