AEAI 10 - Exactly What He Needed.

“Morning, lovebirds,” Ella shouts as she makes her way into the main room. She sits next to me at the kitchen island, bright eyed and fully dressed, “What’s for breakfast?”

“French toast, German omelets, Canadian bacon, and Irish coffee,” Henry smirks as he turns from the stove with the last omelet in his pan.

“How very worldly of you, Henry George Thomas,” she smiles at him as she grabs a clean plate from next to us on the island.

He chuckles as he scoops the eggs up and places them nicely on her plate, “Actually, I accidently rolled one of the omelets I was making and decided to call it German so it looked like I did it on purpose. And the coffee is only half Irish. We only have Bailey’s non-alcoholic creamer.”

I take a small bite of a piece of Canadian bacon and smile up at him, “That’s false advertisement.”

“Sue me,” he looks at me challengingly.

I arch an eyebrow, “I don’t have to sue. I’ll just put you in handcuffs and walk you out of here.”

“Handcuffs, huh?” He chuckles again and turns around to put the pan down, “And you would-”

“Cut it out,” El interrupts cutting up her breakfast. “You two are going to give me dirty thoughts and I don’t have time to change my underwear.”

I laugh as Henry turns slightly pink.

“Where are you off to?” I ask before taking another bite.

She places her hand over her mouth as she chews and answers, “I have to go talk to Toby’s producer. I wrote this new song that we think would be perfect for him.”

“We?” I question raising my brow.

She chews the rest of her bite and nods, “Me and Toby. I showed it to him last night after the concert. He loved it.”

“I’m sure he did.”

I look over to Henry, who has a full plate in his hand as he leans against the kitchen counter, and nod in agreement.

“What’s that mean, Henry George Thomas?”

“I just mean that, um, you two, um,” he starts to move the food around on his plate as he talks.

I step in to save him, “Anything you write, he’ll love. You two were pretty close the other day.”

For the first time, probably, ever, Ella’s cheeks tint the same color as Henry’s. She looks down at her food again and sighs, “Would it be totally horrible if we got together?”

“Are you kidding?” I ask her, surprised.

She looks at me and shakes her head, “We’ve talked about it, but never really set anything into motion.”

“Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit,” I see Maya run out of the bedroom in a flurry of curls as she pulls a shirt over her head. “Shit, shit, shit, shit.” She grabs a pair of shoes from by the door and pulls them on, tying them quickly, “Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit.” She looks up at us sees the food on the counter. Without another ‘shit’, she stands up straight and walks over to Henry’s side of the counter.

As she grabs a piece of French toast with her hand, I ask, “Something wrong, dear?”

“I promised your Pops that I would make a guest appearance on his show today and I’m running late,” she piles a few pieces of meat and an omelet on the bread and tops it off with another piece of French toast.

She stands on her tippy toes and kisses Henry’s cheek, “Thanks for the breakfast.” She moves to our side and kisses El’s and my cheeks, “I’ll see you guys tonight.” And then Maya grabs her jacket with her make-shift sandwich in hand and hurries out the door.