Chapter Ten.

Marley 

            ‘Do you think Harry has finally gone too far?’ 

            After reading the article, I frown and sit back, drumming my fingers lightly on the back of my phone. 

            Of course, after Harry told me to not go online, I couldn’t help but… do just that. Something about it was too suspicious, the way he seemed to so persistently want me to stay off the Internet. Something had to be going on, and it turns out, it was. 

            Knowing that the paparazzi are still waiting outside, just for the chance to jump out at me again, I consider my options.

            Obviously, I could just stay in my here for however long it takes for them to go away. Something gives me the feels though that I’d starve before that happens. Or, I could actually try and get out of here without them noticing. Find a way to talk to Harry in person; figure out exactly what all is going on. 

            Thinking that the latter would be better, I grab my phone again and dial Harry’s number, praying that he’s not busy and is able to pick up. Honestly, if I don’t have him, I don’t know where else I can go. 

            My own home is pretty pointless, as are any of my old friends’ homes. Harry’s honestly all I have about now, and after reading all those articles about the two of us, I feel that it would be best to talk in person. 

            “Hello? Marley?” Harry’s low voice calls to me through the phone after a couple of rings.

            “Harry! Thank God,” I sigh in relief, grabbing the phone with both hands. “I know you said to lay low and all, but… can we meet? I think I can sneak out of my house, and it’s kind of driving me insane just knowing they’re there, you know? So….” My rambling continues for another good ten seconds before he stops me.

            “I’ll text you my address,” he says slowly, and I can’t tell if it’s in a cautious manner or just him speaking normally. I’ve noticed that he does seem to speak as if he has all the time in the world. “Delete it when you can, don’t forget that.” 

            Nodding, I’m already rising and making sure I have all my necessities as I sneak to the back door. “Got it, I’ll be there… as soon as I can. Bye-” 

            “Oh, and Marley?” He cuts me off again, silence filling the line for a moment. “Be careful, okay? These people don’t play nice, especially if they catch you trying to get away from them.”

            I voice my acknowledgement before hanging up, getting a text message of his address almost immediately afterwards.

            Peering out the small window in the back door, I can already tell that I’m not going to be able to get out of here easily. The chipped paint on my damn car is too recognizable, crappy enough compared to most that it’s noticeable. 

            “Juliette!” One of my few other coworkers, a woman just a few years older than me, is passing by, about to go to the over to switch out the batches of pastries.

            Dark, curly hair swishing as she turns her head, she raises an eyebrow in question. She shifts her weight to one side of her body and places her hand on her hip in the way that women often seem to do when they’re trying to be intimidating. 

            “Do you think I could… borrow your car? Just for a bit today.” 

            She frowns slightly, her gaze narrowing. “What for?” She questions in a low voice, as if this is a big secret. Which I suppose, it kind of is.