Chapter 8: Complications

Reddic's P.O.V

As soon as the kiss started, she quickly ended it. An apologetic expression crossing her beautiful features as she placed shaky palms on my chest and slowly pushed me backwards. Reluctant to leave her warm body pressed against mine I forced myself to comply, my bare feet touching the cold tile beneath my soles as I climbed off the side of the counter and stood between her legs. 

"I can't do this. And I know that this isn't fair to you as I went further with Dom. But I'm just not ready for the next step that this would lead to" Maelyne said after a moment of silence, eyes looking everywhere on the counter in search for her bra.

"Give me one good reason why and maybe I'll agree. As far as I see it, we're a better match then that sadistic bastard showering in the next room" I scowled at her, eyes glancing down to see the bra laying at my feet. Alongside that, her shirt.

With a grimace I reached down and picked it up, averting my gaze as I hesitantly held it out to her to take. She ripped it out of my grasp, scoffing while she pressed the undergarment to her chest and snapped the clip in front in place.

"That's only because your opinion is tainted by the fact you want me all to yourself" Maelyne stated, noticing the shirt that I was now trying to hide under my feet.

"Please hand me my shirt." Maelyne ordered, holding out her hands for the garment that I hoped would just randomly disappear beneath me.

"Maybe it's true that I want you all to myself. Or perhaps I am a womanizer who uses women like you for some sick, perverted entertainment, but whatever the case you think I am...something tells me that the reason you're afraid to get close to me is because deep down you know I'm right." I said, my stern tone wavering a bit.

"And what is that may I ask?" Maelyne huffed, her eyes meeting mine to find me staring affectionately at her with her shirt in my arms.

"That we're a match." I whispered, pressing the garment into her palms. In that moment I felt like a defeated man, not anymore like the cocky, arrogant man I had been at the door earlier that day. 

"That's the same mantra I have heard from every rich, abusive, cheating bastard out there. Nothing ever changes and I doubt it ever will" Maelyne said, wiping away a stray tear that sneaked out of the corner of her eye as she put on the shirt.

"I'm different. You'd see that if you allowed me into your world for a-" I began, my words being cut off as Maelyne slapped me across the face. God that stings.

"Bullshit. You have no respect for women and you'd proved that pretty damn well this morning in the parking lot. So don't you lie to my face." Maelyne hissed, her tears running freely down her red cheeks as she sat silently in her spot.

"I admit I have my short comings, but that doesn't mean I am the cold, heartless man you pin me to be. The man you saw earlier is merely a disguise. A coping mechanism I use to keep people at a distance because of my troubled past. But I am willing to close some of that distance if you are willing to do the same and let me in. Even if it's just to see a glimpse of you" I sighed, turning serious. 

"I can't. Letting you in means I'm opening myself up to being broken again. I don't think I can do that." Maelyne sniffed, dropping her gaze to her lap to see me interlacing my fingers with hers.

I bent down, our eyes meeting once more when I looked up into her pupils that were bloodshot from all the pressure of releasing the salty liquid that trickled down her cheeks like waterfalls.

"Who broke you? Please tell me" I begged, standing back up and wrapping my arms around her shoulders as she suddenly caved and fell forward into my chest.