Chapter 6: In Which She Gives In

Kamil's P.O.V

I awoke to bright lights and a loud beeping machine. The face of a young man in a white lab coat coming into view as he stepped up to my bedside.

"Who are you?" I asked without a single thought, my brows furrowing in confusion while he stared down at me and wrote on his notepad like it was the most normal thing to do.

"I'm Dr. Novak and you are at Mercy hospital where I am taking care of you after your fall" he explained, giving me a sympathetic smile as he continued to check the monitors nearby.

"What fall? I don't remember falling." I mumbled, licking my lips that were chapped and dry. Noticing my need for water the doctor grabbed the cup on the table beside him, a perplexed expression on his clean shaven face as he pressed the rim of the paper cup to my lips and tilted it back for me to drink. I sipped enthusiastically, my throat a bit sore from having slept with my mouth open no doubt.

"You don't remember? You fell off the railing of an apartment building and took a young man with you in the tumble" he said, pulling the cup away and setting it down while I tried to piece together the information he gave me. Yes I did remember the fight with Mae's step brother. Remember pouncing on him and him backing out of the apartment. But after that everything went black. That must have been the time I fell and made contact with the ground. Yet that was a full story I fell, how could I have survived falling that far to cement ground?

"How come I survived?" I asked because the questions was eating at me. 

"You landed on your lower back first. Which is lucky considering the other guy landed on his head." he answered, not daring to look at me as he wrote down some more notes.

"Did he die?" I asked, swallowing hard the lump in my throat.

"Instantly. His pain was short lived, unfortunately I can't say the same will be for you. How does your head feel?" He prodded, his green eyes now lifting from his pen and pad to stare straight at me again.

"It hurts a little. Kinda like I just got whacked in the head with a hammer" I groaned, the pounding in my head slowly driving me nuts.

"On a scale of 1-10, how bad is the pain?" he questioned, pulling out a small vile of clear liquid and shaking it carefully.

"An 8 maybe? What's that?" I asked, remaining still when he put the needle in the vile and filled the tube for it.

"Morphine. It should take away the pain and help you sleep better" he explained, leaning forward and poking the needle into my shoulder blade.

With that he took the needle and capped it, quickly tossing it behind him in the needle disposal trash bin before looking at his watch as if waiting for something.

"What are you waiting for?" I huffed, suddenly pissed with the silence he was giving me.

"I'm waiting for you party to arrive. They wanted to be here for the diagnosis" He sighed, confusing me.

"Doc. I know I fell pretty hard, but since I am talking and I am awake, that means I am alright right? Or is there something else that you haven't told me?" I questioned, suddenly feeling very nervous by the look he was giving me in response.

He remained quiet, sighing in annoyance as he checked his watch every thirty seconds or so. I glared at his back in return, wondering why he was being so secretive when it was my body he was investigating about.

"Kamil!" A high shrilling voice assaulted my ears from the doorway, a smile lifting on the corners of my mouth when I spotted my friend and roommate rush to my bedside.