Chapter 7~

***Cassanrda's POV***

     Well that was awkward. Never before had Josh and I stayed in the same room overnight. We were together, but not like that.

     After he came in the room, all hell broke loose... kind of. Matt was down the hall talking a bit too loud about getting Josh away from me. For example, I'm pretty sure I heard him say, "If he touches her I'll snap his neck." Nah, he's not protective, not at all. Poor Emily had the task of calming him down dumped on her, and obviously no one was helping. Meanwhile, Trent was laughing at both of them.

     He was really starting to annoy me.

     Little did they know, though, Josh slept on the floor. For some reason he didn't go out to stop the fiasco, but if he did Matt probably would've killed him, floor or not. Josh himself had been irritable lately, possibly due to today.

     Today. The ceremony. The ceremony is today! Crap. I looked in the mirror, only to realize I looked horrible. My hair was thrown around in a tangled heap and the dark spots under my eyes were all too noticeable.

     "Getting cold feet?"

     Smiling, Emily appeared in the mirror behind me. "Not really, just tired I guess," I replied, trying to sound as cheerful as possible. I didn't succeed.

     "Come on, it won't be that bad."

     "Gee, thanks. I feel so much better."

     My best friend laughed her melodic laugh and pulled me out of my seat. "Let's get you ready, it'll all work out," and I was beginning to feel relieved when she added, "Oh, BTW, your hair is a mess."

     "Thanks Em."

     "No prob, I'm here all day."

     That's what friends are for.

                                                               *********************

     One word to describe the rest of the morning? Hectic. Emily helped me get ready while Trent and the new guys set up. Yes, throughout the day people arrived. Pack members, of course. Although, with my schedule I didn't have time to meet them. Nice alpha, huh?

     Our ceremonies aren't completely different from a wedding, but they're not totally similar. Set up the same, but executed differently. In a werewolf mating ceremony, we don't exchange vows or rings, but a simple band. The band, which is picked by the alpha male of the pack, has designs on it. These designs are used to define packs, and when we shift, they turn into a patch on our fur. They're worn on the upper arm, but the thing that connects them to your mate is blood. A few drops from your mate fill your band, making the designs defined and noticeable among the silver.

     My dress was short, sleeveless, and white. Emily had convinced me to wear the thin brown belt around my waist, but I said no to the scarf. We both agreed that Matt would freak (even more) if he saw me in this short of a dress so I put on a pair of brown tights. Surprisingly, I got to pick out one part of my outfit: the shoes. Tall and black, my boots were the best. Sure, I was dressed relatively casually, but everyone else would be too. It's how the ceremony worked.

     I walked outside, and found myself in the middle of a wedding hall. The chairs were set up, the blue carpet ran down the middle, and the platform I had to stand on in less than an hour was proudly at the end of it. Everything was white. The chairs, the flowers, the snow. Beautiful was one word to describe it. Another was cold. Cold, empty, bright, but at the same time dark. Why am I thinking this?

    A hand was placed on my shoulder and I jumped in place. As I spun on my heel Matt came into view. Not thinking about it, I wrapped my arms around his neck, buried my face in his neck, and refused to let go.

     "Ah, so Emily was right."

     I lifted my head, "About what?"

     "You do have cold feet."

     "Do not!" I yelled, backing away.

     "Why else would you be hugging your older brother?"

     "B-Because... I just wanted a hug."

     Matt then hugged me, and told me, "Don't worry Sis, you'll be fine. We're all here for you."

     I sighed, welcoming the calmness he was giving off. "I really wish everyone would stop saying it's going to be okay and it would just happen already... I love you, Bro."

     "Love you too, Sis, now go wait for it to begin."

     I went back inside, but was only there for a few minutes before Emily came in to get me. Walking back outside, took a lot longer than before. I was all jumpy and jittery as the doors opened before me. Stepping out, all heads turned to face me. Few were familiar, yet most were new. Smiles, straight faces, unreadable ones... Tough crowd... As I turned to face Emily, she linked her arm through mine, and we walked down the royal blue carpet. My parents were here, but it was a custom to have someone from the pack walk you down the aisle.

     Standing there, waiting for me, was Josh. He looked so cute half dressed up. Our short walk (longest walk of my life) ended, and I stepped up onto the platform. Taking one last glance over the small crowd, our eyes met. A smile tugged at his lips as he took my hands. Matt handed him a silver band, already filled with my blood, and Josh slowly moved it up my arm. It was all so simple and quiet. Way too quiet. By now I was nearly jumping up and down, but once Josh's band was put into my hand by Emily, I froze. Everything hit me like a ton of bricks. This was all happening too fast. I didn't mind being an alpha, but I was sixteen. I unfroze, but my world was still in slow motion.

     The band slipped from my fingers and I gasped. Josh chuckled and leaned down to pick it up. I stared down at his back, but finally my mind worked.

     Doing what any sensible sixteen year old girl in my place would do, I turned...

     And ran.