Chapter 60

The study finished and we helped our patients back to their homes, and the staff went on their way. I said my goodbyes to Dr. Ramsey and Dr. Quinn. We'd be analyzing the data we collected for the next several months. I was excited to have the study over. It was my life's work, but these past three months had been exhausting. I had hardly any sleep, and when I was able to sleep I couldn't with my mind racing.

The study was over, but our work was just beginning. It was suddenly strange to have time again. Katrina was helping me with Director Hildebrandt, but it was getting messy quickly. Donovan had his hand in the pot too. I'd had no contact with him since that day in the hospital, thank God. Katrina had done all of the in between between the lawyer Donovan had granted Director Hildebrandt an attorney. Mind you, Donovan wasn't directly claiming a hand, he was more of an ominous presence in the background.

Katrina called me and asked to meet for lunch. Not having much else to do, considering I wasn't going to the aquarium until the legal matters were all cleared up, I went to meet her. When I got there she had a devious smile on her face. I knew that that meant. Trouble. Trouble for me.

"I have some paperwork for you." Katrina smiled and handed me the stack. "You should look it over in private though." She warned me. "As to your little problem with the director, I have some good news and some bad news."

"Bad news first." I answered before she could ask.

"I figured as much," Katrina sighed. "Bad news is now you are facing a counterclaim for defamation of character."

"What?" I asked, my eyes wide.

"Yeah, so that's no fun, but this is just typical pushback. You'll have to appear if it goes to court, but I don't think that's the goal. I think the goal is just getting this put to bed privately. The aquarium has suspended the director for the time being. I'm not afraid, his attorney is one who has represented the Ralstons for years, but I'm not afraid of him. He's a pompous dickhead but he's nothing I can't handle." Katrina assured me. "I just wanted to let you know that."

"Great," I took a deep breath and ran a hand through my hair. "So good news?"

Katrina smiled. "That son of a bitch doesn't stand a chance. That being said you should be able to get back to your work as usual once we've settled this. Our evidence is circumstantial, but it's enough for our purposes. And the really good news is you got your paperwork. Trust me." Katrina winked.

I sighed somewhere between relief and at the ominous feeling in my gut. "So, what happens next?"

"Next we eat, then you go through your paperwork. Then you call me when it's all filled out."

We ate lunch and caught up on her life then went our separate ways. I went home and sorted through the paperwork excited to see the envelope with an M on it.

Mikaela,

I miss waking up to your beautiful face. Please tell Nikki to stop sending me pictures of men checking you out. That woman is going to be the death of me! It's bad enough I can't see you or hold you, to get that on top of it, I can't handle it.  It's making me crazy and I want to throttle the woman!  She knows what we're doing and she does that?  Does she want me to blow our cover?

Everything will be settled with my father next month.  He'll announce his successor and all I can think is how much I don't care.  Baby, I'm still going along with your plan, but none of that matters anymore.  You amaze me, sweetheart.  You think I've taught you about people?  Baby, before you it was never about anyone but me.

We both screwed up.  And I know I don't deserve you.  But like the selfish ass I am, I want you and I don't want anyone but you.  I also don't want anyone else to have you either.  Katrina informed me of your legal situation.  I will be there.  I am going to fix this.  My father doesn't get to win in any area with you.  You are mine.  That means mine to protect.  And if that fool thinks he's going to get away with trying to damage your life's work, he's got another thing coming.