Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Kevin...

(Charlie Hunnam as my idea of the Warden)

I kept my eyes on the Devil's broad back as he escorted me through the labyrinth of corridors until we reached an elevator. Wow, I didn't even know there was an elevator in this building at all. There were no buttons to call the lift and I watched as he swiped his ID badge on the card reader. I heard a ding and then the grinding sound of the elevator moving. The aftermath of Javier's attack had numbed most of my senses, but I could still feel my anxiety levels as they slowly started ramping up like a pack of wild horses getting ready to bolt at any minute.

The lift arrived and with another ding, the doors swooshed open, and the Devil waved me into the car. The doors closed and the car began it's rise, carrying us upwards to the head man himself. The elevator came to a smooth stop and my pulse pounded away and my palms became clammy with nervous sweat. I had to rub then down the side of my pants while following the guard's behemoth shoulders down another length of hallway, but this one was so much different from the gray concrete walls, and the tiled pale green floors downstairs. I had to blink several times to make sure I was still in the same building.

One would have thought you were walking into the posh executive offices in some fancy designer skyscraper somewhere in the heart of the city. The walls were painted silky white with pictures depicting colorful scenes of nature's brilliant waterfalls and blooming forests. The floor wasn't covered with puke inducing tile, but a plush deep navy blue carpeting that cushioned your every step. Also, there were lush potted plants lining the walls. The big guard came to a stop in front of a set of huge dark wood double doors, he knocked once and entered the room. The Devil's big paw waved me into the room.

I drew in a deep fortifying breath to calm my nerves and I stepped over the threshold and into the room. The first thing I saw was an older looking woman sitting behind what I assumed was the secretary's desk, she looked up at us and she actually smiled, and the gesture transformed her features completely. She was very pretty in a matronly kind of way, "go right on in Michael, he's waiting for the both of you. Hello, Mr. Miller, I am Rosemarie, the Warden's Administrative

Assistant, nice to meet you." The woman rose from behind her desk and shook my hand like I was some visiting CEO instead of an inmate.

I just nodded my head and smiled politely at the woman for I didn't have a clue how to respond to her while trying to process all the various emotions I was experiencing in such a short span of time. Michael a.ka. the Devil wished the smiling woman goodnight as she threw her purse on her shoulder and made her way out of the room.

Once she was gone, he turned and headed towards another wide set of doors on the other side of the room and I trudged warily behind him. He tapped on the door and I heard a gruff, "enter" and the guard opened one side of the double panels and escorted me inside. I squeezed past his bulk in the doorway, stepped into the room, and I took one look at the multitude of pictures covering almost every available surface of the walls and stopped dead in my tracks.

My heart dropped into my stomach as I looked at the almost wall to wall photos of Dilly. I knew my mouth was hanging wide open as I turned almost three hundred and sixty degrees and studied all the photos of the love of my life. Picture after picture ranging from infancy right up until he took his walk across the stage for his graduation and pinning ceremony.

There was movement in my peripheral vision and my eyes flashed to the tall figure as he stood and buttoned his designer jacket. The Warden stepped around his massive desk and stood there studying me, like he was waiting for me to take it all in. My mouth flapped open and closed as I tried to gather myself and my scattered neurons enough to ask this man the now blatantly obvious question, now I knew why his features seemed so familiar to me. This big powerful looking man had to be related to my Dilly. Dare I pray that he is an uncle or cousin, and not who I really think he is, my little love's missing in action father.