Chapter 18

"Babe we haven't had a date night in a minute. What you don't want to be seen out in public with me anymore?" He laughs, "It's too early for your shit man." "I'm just asking." I say rolling over. I kiss his lips. "Stop unless you trying to do some." He mumbles. I break away, "Sorry. I wish we could but I have court in an hour. Can you drop me off?" "Sure Love. Would you like breakfast and me to iron your suit too?" "Smart ass." I get out of bed and rush to the shower.

"I love seeing you in that suit it's my favorite one." "Only because the skirt fits tight around my ass." I say smacking my lip stick. "That's exactly why." He says grabbing it. "Stop baby.... Now let's go. You owe me breakfast." "I don't owe you shit." "Your so rude in the mornings." "You should get use to it." "Nah I'm okay." "I think we should move in together." "Aug that's a big step for the both of us."

"I know but I think we're ready for it and it would look good with me trying to gain full custody of Aliyah now that Toya's mother is trying to contest it." "Your right but what are going to do when the other need that moment of personal space?" "Buy a house big enough where you can get that plus some." "Hm." "So what do you say?" "I'm not sure yet." "Baby." "August." "Oh now I'm August last night you were calling me daddy." I laugh, "Shut up..... I'll think about it. Im not saying no. I'm open to looking." We arrive to the courthouse. "Have a great day baby." "You too baby." "I love you." "I love you more."

Court went well today. One more session for closing arguments then the jury will deliberate. I stand outside waiting for August. I wish he would hurry up my damn feet hurt in these heels. I keep forgetting to bring a pair of flats just for moments like this. I stand out there for another fifteen minutes then he finally decides to pull up. "I'm sorry I'm late." "Umm mhm. Your rubbing my feet tonight." "I don't want to touch your nasty feet." "Oh well."

As soon as we walk inside the house my phone rings, "Hello?" "We should do dinner tonight." Sheree says. "That's fine. Where?" "How about Little Italy?" "That works. What time?" "Around 8." "Good. Niq coming too?" "Hopefully I called you first this time." I laugh, "Oh." "I'll see you tonight girl." We hang up. "Little Italy for dinner tonight babe." I walk into my room to see August looking at something on his phone with tears in his eyes. "What's wrong baby?" He shows me a picture that someone sent of Toya's dead body.

"Who sent it?" "I don't know." "Is there a way you could trace it or something?" "I don't know that either." "We could get Chris to look at it tonight." "Sure your federal agent cousin can look at the picture and add it their list of shit they're already trying to pin on me." "Baby I-" "I'll be back." He says getting up. He leaves out. I sit there for a few thinking he would be back but he doesn't. He probably just needs some alone time.

I check the time and it's 7:00. I start prepping to leave for dinner. I hope they weren't trying to get all fancy because I'm definitely wearing something casual. August walks in, "What you dressed for?" "We have dinner with the crew tonight at Little Italy." "Oh. I'm sorry for leaving out like that I just needed some fresh air." "Your fine I figured that's what it was. You don't have to apologize." He showers then gets dressed and we head off to Little Italy.

Once inside we see them waiting for us. "What's up y'all?" August greets. "Hey Aug, hey Maliyah." "Hey." I say addressing that to everyone. "So Maliyah what's been the deal with this stuff and work?" "Girl crazy as hell. I've been in court and then at the federal building and home. The cycle has been repeating." "That's crazy." "Babe are you even like allowed to sit with them since I mean you are technically investigating them?" Monique asks Chris. "My personal life has nothing to do with it. As far as anyone is concerned I'm on a date with my cousin and her date."

I glance over at August. He seems to be thinking real hard on something. I grab his hand under the table. He looks over at me and smiles. His phone rings and his smiles drops. I wish he would tell me something on who he's thinking it is. Although personally I feel that the Lopez guy has something to do with it. His phone rings again.

"Got a hotline going on tonight August." He laughs but quickly stops. He gets up and goes towards the door. "What's up with that?" Chris asks. "I don't know." "That's your answer for a lot." "Are you really going there Chris?" "I'm just saying that's been your answer." "And it will continue to be my answer." I say rolling my eyes. August comes back and we begin eating.

"Mind if we leave early bae?" "You okay Aug?" Monique asks. "Yeah just not feeling good." "That's fine babe." Sheree gets the waitress attention for us to get some to go plates. This lasagna is delicious it's going to be so good later. We get our food packed up and head back to the house.

"You alright?" "Just a lot of shit on my mind." "About what?" "This shit with Aliyah, Toya, You, our future everything." "Don't worry about me I'm fine. We're working on getting Aliyah." "I know but a lot of this shit is on me. I'm reason behind all of this shit." "You can't let it get to your head baby." "But it's the truth. I'm just facing reality." "The only thing you can do is move forward. You can't dwell on the past."

We get to the house. I change clothes and snuggle up next to August. "I love you August." "I love you too Maliyah." I lay my head on his chest and he wraps his arm around me. "I think I need to just get away." "Where are gone go?" "I don't know anywhere but here." "Just calm down baby. We'll figure it out." He smiles and kisses my cheek.