Chapter 2

I really hate Monday's. This day of the week really kills my vibe. I can not wait until I'm the big boss and come into this bitch whenever I feel like it. "Good morning Nina." "Good morning. Here is your frap and a blueberry muffin." "Thank you so much."

"Um one other thing-" I open my office door and already see what she was referring too. "You look nice." August says looking up at me. "Why are you here so early?" I ask sitting down at my desk. "I like to get things done early." "Okay. Did you bring the tapes?" "I did." He says not moving. "Ms. Wright Ms. Monique Johnson is on line one." Nina says.

I pick up the phone, "Yes Monique. It better be serious since your calling my office." "Girl I need the details of the date." "I'll call you later and tell you about it." "Tell my cousin I said what's up." August says picking up my muffin and biting into it.

"Oh shit Aug is there?" Monique says. "Yes and he's eating my damn muffin." "No wonder you aren't trying to talk about that date." "Excuse me? Did you really go there? The date was fine. Finally you picked a descent ass nigga." Monique laughs, "See I told you." "I have to go Nique I'll call you later." "Tell Aug I said hey and okay."

I laugh and hang up. "A date?" August asks. "That's what I said. Why are you eating my muffin?" "With who?" "None of your business. Let me see the tapes from the camera." He passes them to me. "Nina can you bring me the TV equipment to watch these tapes." "Sure thing Ms. Wright."

Within a few seconds Nina brings in the set. That girl works fast. "Thank you Nina." She smiles and walks out. I place the tape inside and cut the TV on. "You should format these into DVDs no one uses VCRs anymore." "I like my shit old fashion." He says.

"So you were gone from 2 to 8?" "Correct." I get to 1:30 pm and see him leaving out. "Where did you go 30 minutes earlier?" I turn to him asking. "I went to visit someone." "Who?" "My father." I laugh, "Please stop bullshiting me."

"I'm serious Maliyah." "We saw your father get killed." "We thought we saw him getting killed." "Are you kidding me?" "No dead ass. Too much to explain now. How about over dinner tonight?" "Smooth but no thanks." "Why not?" "Because I said so."

"Good morning Ms. Wright." Mr Jackson says walking in. "Good morning sir." "Mr. Jackson if a client doesn't feel comfortable per say discussing matters of the case inside the office. Could one do it in an outside location?" August asks. He is not slick. "It's not encouraged because of the privacy but yeah you could if both parties agree." "Ms. Wright.." August says looking at me. "Mr. Alsina."

"I'll let you two get back to work." Mr Jackson says leaving out. "So dinner?" "So no." "Why?" "What else did you do that day. I clearly asked that question the last time and you failed to mention going to visit your father."

"You know how I feel about that." "Put your personal feelings aside because something as simple at leaving 30 minutes early would have my ass looking like a damn fool in the courtroom. I need you to tell me everything you did. All your time has to be accounted for."

"That's all I did. I didn't wake up until around ten. Then at 1:30 as you saw that's the only time I left and if you fast forward I got back home around 8." I fast forward the tape and he's right. "Where is your father?" "At a rehab facility."

"Where is it located?" "Nova Street." "Alright." "Why?" "I'm getting a subpoena for the tapes of the facility to prove you were there." "Is the necessary?" "Look I know this is not your first time being in a situation like this. Yes it's necessary."

"Alright Maliyah you know what your doing." "I honestly do." "Is that all for today?" "It is. When is your first court appearance?" "The 31st." "Okay." His phone rings, "Yeah?.... Finishing up with my lawyer.... Alright... I'll come through soon as I leave here... Yeah chop it up... Alright. Later." He hangs up and looks back up at me. "Well since we're finish I'll catch you later." "Try staying out of trouble." "Are you telling me that as my friend or as my lawyer?" "I'll see you at our next meeting."

I file the paperwork for the recording to be sent in for the facility video records. "Ms. Wright your lunch is here." "Thank you Nina." "Knock, knock. I'm coming in." Monique says walking through my door. "Here's your lunch." She says handing me the bag.

"Thanks. What are you doing up here?" "Darrien gave me the rest of the day off do I decided to come see you. I was hoping August would have still been here." "Girl no he's been gone." "So how did the date go?" "It was straight. He's cool." "I'm waiting on the but in this."

I laugh, "But nothing this time." "What? It's a fucking miracle." "Whatever." I put my paper work to the side and pull out my lunch. "Where did y'all go?" "To dinner at the restaurant on Atlantic." "Ohhh fancy." "It was."

It's another knock, "Come in." "I was going to replace your muffin but I couldn't remember what flavor so I just grabbed one." August says walking inside. Monique face lights up. "What's up cousin? Her favorite are blueberry." "What's up Niq?" He passes me my muffin. "Thanks." Monique looks at us back and forth.

"What girl?" "I'm just loving the interaction between you two lets keep it going and I'll watch." "Girl please." "Well I'll let you ladies get back to your lunch." "Bye August." "Later Niq." "So Maliyah still a no to my dinner offer?" "Yes she will go dinner with you." Monique says speaking for me.

"No I won't." "Yes you will." "Monique I've already said no." "Free hair for 3 months." "Not even a free hairstyle will get me to say yes to this." "Come on you know you want too." Monique continues on. "No its business between us and that's all it'll ever be." "Cool got it." August says walking out.

"Damn why you had to front on him like that." "Like what Niq?" "That was harsh." "No it was far from harsh. I'm trying to be nice and do him a favor and help him out even after all that." "Why don't you want to talk to him? Have y'all even spoke about that?"

"No and we aren't going too. He should be glad I'm doing this shit for his ass." "Okay Maliyah whatever you say. I still think you should give him a chance." "I'm sure you do. That's over and done with no need to open that chapter again."

"Good to know y'all started the party without me." Sheree says coming in. "I walked passed August when I was coming in." "Yeah he just left thanks to Maliyah." "Girl whatever I didn't do shit." "What happen?" Sheree asks.

"He asked Maliyah to dinner and she's on it's only business and that's all it'll ever be." Monique says mocking me. "I do not sound like that." "I mean I agree with Maliyah, the shit that nigga did was trifling." "Y'all gone keep holding that against him?" "Monique you act like it was something so fucking simple. His nigga kicked my ass all the way to the curb."

"So you don't feel anything? Your going to throw all that history down the drain?" "Yes and I'm fine with that. Whatever me and August had is done and over with." "I'm not going for it." "Well get your head out of the clouds Niq." Sheree says. "Never. I rather be there than stuck in reality with you two miserable bitches." "Bitch please I'm happy as well, very far from miserable." "Just like that boo." Sheree adds.

The next day... I walk into the office and in walks Darius. What the fuck is going on? "What's up Maliyah?" "Hey Darius." "So I hear you're who I'm up against in this case versus Alsina." I laugh, "Wait your the prosecution?" "Promoted a month ago to be exact." "Well congratulations." "Thank you. I look forward to going up against you." "Likewise." "I hear you have an 98% acquittal rate." "You heard correct." "I look forward to knocking that down a bit."

"In your dreams lover boy." He sits on my desk, "If you want we could make those dreams a reality." "If you don't get off of my damn desk.." "Listen I have a proposition for you that would put things in your favor..." He says getting down and sitting in front on my desk.

"I'm listening." "If you accompany me to the Governor's Ball I'll go easy on your client and reduce his charges to a mere assault charge." I laugh, "Why would I do that when I have all the evidence I need to prove my client is innocent?" "Why would you not when I have to evidence that proves he did? And evidence that proves a previous relationship between you and your client." Hell no this isn't the type of shit I need right now. I was just promoted.

"Such as what?" "I need an answer to my question." "No I won't go with you to the Ball." "Well then I'll see you in court, unless you decide its in both of your best interests to drop him as a client." "Bye bye now." Arrogant ass nigga. "Nina." "Yes Ms. Wright." "Can you pull Mr. Jackson on the phone please?" "Sure Ms. Wright."