Chapter 16

Training with Alan wasn't the same after that. He continued to instruct her but his enthusiasm was completely gone, as was his focus. The tension throughout the whole day had been viciously visible and Ariana was eager for the end of their training session. 

Alan finally allowed their training to involve something other than rocks. That day, he told her she would be levitating real arrows. 

"It's about time we start realistic simulations." That sentence was about the only thing he said to her the whole day, apart from the occasional instruction and criticism when she did something wrong. 

Any other day Ariana would have been thrilled that she no longer had to practice levitating boring rocks. That day, however, she was saddened that their relationship had become so strained. The only reason she got her way had to be because Alan no longer cared. Before he had been stubborn about sticking to the basics, perfecting each step before moving on to the next. Now he was moving forward quickly, as if he was all too eager to be done training her. Done spending time with her. 

The simulations were fairly accurate, but Ariana knew it would be nothing in comparison to the real thing. The dummies that were strategically placed around her were nothing more than bundles of hay with a black X painted as the target: the heart. During the war she wouldn't be shooting bundled hay, she would be shooting real people and aiming for real hearts. 

So far she had managed to do a good job at actually hitting the bundles. However, she was still struggling to hit the bullseye. 

"Wounding the enemy does no good," Alan grumbled. His arms were crossed as he circled her. "An arrow to the leg might make a soldier falter, but it won't stop him from finishing you off. Try again."

She took a deep breath in, using all of her effort not to get frustrated and give up. Although Alan was not the best conversationalist at the moment, she knew that she needed to keep going. Life was not easy, she knew that better than most, and if she wanted to get better, she was going to have to push through the stress and tension. 

The arrow levitated just in front of her right shoulder and she focused her eyes on the X painted on the   target dummy. She tried to picture a real person there, knowing that it was no use pretending the enemy would always be hay. A face flashed before her, a face that she did not even know she remembered. It was the face of one of the Nieblans that had attacked her house and helped kill her parents. 

She channeled her anger and pictured the arrow plunging through that Nieblan soldier's heart. For the first time that day, she nailed her target.

Glancing across her shoulder, she sensed that Alan was begrudgingly impressed. He even so much as gave her a compliment. "It's about time." Well, sort of a compliment. "Again."

After training, Ariana trudged up to her room and was welcomed back by her maids. They asked about her day and how things were progressing. 

"It's getting better," she said. "I only wish Alan weren't so upset with me. I much preferred it when he was yelling at me constantly, rather than barely speaking to me."

"Why is he so upset?" Alexia asked as she folded clothes. 

Lizabeth nudged her, scolding her for being so intrusive. "It's not our place to ask such questions."

Alexia's eyes were apologetic. "Sorry, Miss. I didn't mean to pry."

Ariana shook her off. "Don't apologize. You two are my friends, you should feel free to ask whatever you wish."

Both her maids smiled happily at the thought of being equal enough to be considered friends. In fact, they got so excited that they practically bounded out of the room, promising to be back with a surprise.