Chapter 14

AN: Hey guys, just letting you know, this chapter is going to be shorter than usual, I've been on vacation and I just got home. Hope you enjoy. 

Ashley's PV

"Well, it's getting late. Goodnight." said Gram. 

"Gram, what do you mean by that?" I asked while Ryan silently sat next to me looking as shocked as ever. 

"I mean I am going to be." She said dodging the actual question. 

"You know what I mean Gram, I have a brother?" 

"Yes, his name is Jack, his birthday is...was December 23, 1990... you were five years old when he died." 

I was frantic now. "No way, that's not possible! Mom and Dad would have told me! I don't have a brother! I am an only child! Stop lying to me!" I exclaimed as the tears ran down my face. Ryan is holding me now. He didn't say anything, he just held me. One arm wrapped around my back while the other rested on my head. I didn't want to see anyone. I just wanted to stay in a dark room for the rest of my life. I buried my head in Ryan's chest and sobbed for a good five minutes. Ryan pulled me up and leaded the way to the guest room. He sat me on the bed and rubbed my back until I looked up at him. 

"I have a brother. I have a brother who is dead." I said with sobs in between each word I spoke. 

"You should get some rest, this was a lot to take in for one night." He said knowing that an "I'm sorry" wouldn't change anything no matter how much he wished it would.  I didn't bother to change or do anything, I just went in bed and continued to cry. I wasn't sure why I was crying. Was it because of my families betrayal or because my long lost brother is dead? I remember wanting an older brother as a little girl. I remember wanting to have someone to be protective of me, to scare away guys that seemed like a threat but also someone that would hang out with me and drive my friends and me to the mall or to the movies. Now, I find out that I did have a brother. He was taken away from me and the thought to inform me never occurred to my parents. I turned to Ryan and stared into his eyes. He noticed my eyes water so he pulled me in closer to him. "I love you." He whispered into my ear. That was all I needed. Ryan was here and I was so thankful for that. He wasn't an older brother but he always protects me and he loves me. 

________________________________________________________________________

"No you listen to me. You tell Ashley the truth and only the truth." Ryan was half whispering half shouting. 

"Sir, you know how much I respect you but I love your daughter too much to let you lie to her. She was devastated last night, she cried herself to sleep." He was talking to my dad about Jack in my grandmother's kitchen while my mother stood there glaring at my grandmother. They never liked each other since that day Gran insisted my dad get a divorce from mom after their huge fight. This was definitely not helping. Dad caught my gaze and shot me a wiry smile. 

"Take a seat sweety." He said causing everyone to simultaneously turn towards me. 

"Jack, Jack is dead. He got involved with the wrong crowd and that got him killed." 

"H-he was murdered? I thought he died in a car crash or something!" I said hopelessly looking back and forth from Dad and Ryan. 

"I'm sorry sweety." 

"Why didn't you tell me? Did they arrest the guy that killed him? I hope he's rotting in jail awaiting his execution  day." I am completely and utterly against the death penalty but something just took over me. 

"The case is yet unsolved. We didn't tell you because we didn't want to cause you pain. Especially since you didn't remember him. Knowing you, you wouldn't wait for the cops to make an arrest, you would start an investigation yourself and put yourself in danger. We didn't want to lose both of our children." 

"How did he die?" I asked. 

"They found no traces of poison in his system but they did find a 22 caliber bullet near his sternum." 

This was it. This was how my brother died. A bullet. The coward didn't even have the guts to fight my brother, he had to use a gun. I lost my brother to a gun. I told my parents that I wouldn't do anything to put myself or anyone else in danger but I didn't want anyone arguing so I made mom and gran make up. I left the kitchen and went upstairs hinting to everyone that  I wanted to be alone. After sleeping for a few more hours I went down to the kitchen to get some food. Ryan was sitting on a stool working on something. I decided to drop the topic of my brother until after I got back home. I wouldn't tell anyone until I saw them in person. 

"What are you working on?"  I asked. 

"Chemistry homework. Did you do yours yet?" He asked even though he knew the answer. Of course I did. I did all of my work the night before Ryan arrived. 

"I'm glad you came."  I said sitting on the stool next to his. 

"I'm glad I came too. No way I would have survived two weeks without you." He said and kissed my nose. 

I couldn't help but smile. "Do you want to have a Bones marathon? I can help you with Chemistry later, I already finished mine." Bones was our favorite television show. We both nearly died by the time Booth and Brennan got together. They were so different but perfect for each other. 

"What kind of question is that?" He exclaimed. "We must find out what happens next!" 

We took out ice cream from the fridge and watched Bones until I fell asleep. I remember Ryan picking me up and taking me upstairs and setting my down on the bed so I can comfortably sleep. I woke up but I didn't want him to know so I closed my eyes as he looked at me. He set me down and began to walk away but I held his hand. 

"No. Stay." I groaned half asleep.

He looked at me the way a little child would look at fireworks for the first time and smiled.