Chapter 23

A/N: Just a heads up, the headings in each section don't indicate a change in who's speaking, I will always speak in third person, but I just felt like it would keep things a little more organized and easier to follow. Enjoy the chapter!

ROBIN:
Robin's night of sleep was restless. He was still worked up about David, and he was stressing over whether he should do what Regina said and stick up for himself, or if he should just leave it alone. He went back and forth all night. One minute he was sure he was going to speak to David, and the next he just wanted to ignore the problem.

He was quiet all morning, and Regina tried to get him to talk, and she tried encouraging him, but he was just so in his head about this whole thing that he didn't pay attention to what she said. He got ready, ate breakfast, kissed his wife and son, and headed out the door within a span of 15 minutes. A record time for anyone in this family.

By the time he arrived at work, he had still not made a choice. He parked in his reserved spot and headed inside. He got to his office and set his briefcase down and sat in his chair. He leaned back against the chair with his hands behind his head, contemplating what to do. After about 10 minutes, he stood up from his chair. "Screw this," he said frustrated as he marched toward David's office.

He arrived at David's office and knocked.

"Come in," David called.

Robin opened the door and walked in quickly.
"Oh Robin! What can I do for you, man?" David asked.

Robin huffed.

David furrowed his forehead in confusion. "Is there an issue?"

"David, what is my title at this firm?" Robin finally asked.

"You're co-partner," David replied. "Robin, what's this about?"

"Yesterday you treated me like shit. Everything I did seemed to be under a microscope by you. You constantly checked in on me. Had meetings with me to go over my cases to make sure I'm doing them correctly. Talked to me like I'm som incompetent child trying to do a man's work. You-"

"Hold up. Robin, the only reason I've been treating you like this is because you've gone through something tragic. You lost someone close to you, and not to mention... You've gained a child. Forgive me for trying to give you some sympathy. I just though you'd appreciate the help," David interjected.

Robin chuckled slightly. "I'm a grown man, David. Just like you. Give me about two weeks to grieve, and I'll be fine. A man has responsibilities and a good one doesn't let his personal life effect his work life. It's been way more than two weeks. I'm fine! I'm back to work, and I don't want to be treated as if this was my first day of work again. I know what I'm doing. My head isn't in the wrong place. Am I sad I lost my sister? Yes, of course. But am I completely distraught over it still? No. I've moved on. I've grieved, but now it's time for me to get back to work, to support my family."

David just sat there with his arms folded across his chest and his eyes gazing past Robin. Robin couldn't tell if he was mad, or if he was just deep in thought or concentration. Either way, Robin continued.

"Stop treating me like I'm just some lowly employee who can't do much. I am over feeling like you think I'm lesser than you. Because, newsflash David, we are co-partners. Do you know what 'co' means? It means together, equal share, teamwork. You didn't give me that type for no reason. We agreed to combine our firms and work as equals. Did we not?"

David nodded his head in agreement.

"Then start treating me as one, or I'll take my shares of this firm and go back to being my own business. Because I am sick of this." Robin finally finished his rant, and it felt like a huge weight had been lifted off of his shoulders.