Chapter 49 - A Family Affair

Edith had sized up the local wedding guests, particularly the ladies of the room, and feeling very much like Margaret had when she came to Milton - superior t their provinciality.   She wrinkled up  her pretty little nose at the drab attire they wore and past season bonnets. She wondered what kind of woman could survive in Milton; there was little amusement, too wet and dark to enjoy outside distractions and the fashion was at least one full year behind what was being worn in London.  She had been assured on several occasions that the local theater was top rate and performed many of the shows they saw in London.  She smiled politely as her husband carried much of the conversation at their end of the table. 'Dear Sholto,' she thought as she admired his social ease among the wedding guests, a skill he acquired during his years in the army, leading common soldiers.
The wedding breakfast was held at the home of Fanny Watson.  Although she still harbored resentment for the bride, Fanny was all to eager to host guests at her home, as Watson's austerity had curtailed all opportunities to entertain their Milton friends.  She had filled her home with an abundance of flowers and ivy.  As was tradition, a large meal was set all at once on the table, unlike a dinner with courses.  Multiple fowl dishes,  meats, jellies, pies and a shell fish stew were set out on Fanny's best china and served with her fine silver, all of which was counted by the Mistress herself as she feared that some of the less affluent guests might pocket her silver tea spoons. 
The guests in question stayed only for tea and coffee, which was served in the drawing room, while Margaret and John greeted each of their guests.  Before the main meal was announced, Nicholas and his family excused themselves to host the gathering at Marlborough Mills, where the drink was sturdier and the food was consumed using bread as a utensil.   "A bonnie girl makes for a beautiful bride, Miss Margaret." Nicholas said slyly to his adopted daughter.  "Actually, it's Mrs. Thornton now, isn't it?" he corrected himself as he scratched his head.  Margaret blushed deeply as she giggled "Oh, no, Nicholas.  It will always be Margaret.  Although, Mrs. Thornton sounds lovely, " she said as she gazed up at John standing close beside her, "I shall always be Margaret to you."  John extended his hand to Nicholas and firmly shook it.  "We will stop by on the way out.  You will keep things civilized, I expect."  John said as an aside, more as a statement than a question.  "Reckon if I want a job on the 'morrow, it best be that way." Nicholas said with a wink, and then stole a kiss on Margaret's cheek.
"We will see you all very soon!" Margaret laughed joyfully as the party took their leave.
An hour had been scheduled for the breakfast in order to accommodate the departure of the bride and bridegroom for their short  wedding-tour to Blackpool, some 40 miles away at the English seaside. The trip was to be brief, departing on Thursday and returning on Sunday evening, as both the bride and groom were compelled not to leave their responsibilities in Milton for too long a period.  The breakfast, therefore, was run with sharp rigidity as Fanny Watson was keenly aware that it was the London style for the bride and groom not to longer too long at the breakfast and to change into their traveling clothes and depart the breakfast as quickly as possible.  Knowing that the fashionable Lennoxs were to attend the breakfast had created the need to break from local traditions and no amount of scolding of the servants could move the breakfast along at the appropriate speed. 
Edith and her husband sat to Margaret's immediate side and John occupied the other side.  A dense 3 layered wedding cake occupied the space directly opposite Margaret, and would be cut up for the guests as Margaret and John departed for their trip.  Edith was wearing a stunning russet silk gown, accented with bands of black lace. She wore her shiny blond hair piled high on her head, displaying exquisite black onyx earrings and a brooch fastened to a black grosgrain ribbon that circled her pale delicate throat. She suspected of the three similarly aged women at the table, she drew the most attention due to her taste in fashion as well as her youthful appearance. Her cousin Margaret was always a strong contrast to her own pale features, with her jet black tresses, red lips and ivory complexion. Edith's new cousin in law, Fanny Watson, was a formidable opponent, although she was soft around the chin and her blond hair had some brown in it which dulled it in comparison to her own. She smiled, self satisfied with her assessment of the situation.