Chapter 41 - A Southern Exposure

At Margaret's original request that she sent from London in the early days of her return to England, her agent identified six potential rental properties in an area just north of the town center, near to Marlborough Mills. Unlike the houses she investigated when her family first relocated to Milton, the homes were sumptuous stone structures, build in the terrace style as was popular in London housing since the turn of the century. It troubled Margaret that several of the homes had been left fully furnished, as though the previous owners had fled under the cover of darkness. She would quickly learn that half the homes were owned by the bank, and had been repossessed from business men that suffered due to the economic difficulties.

Any one of the housed were within her means and found to be of similar quality to the next, with the only difference being in the street activity surrounding them. As manufacturing increased in Milton, so too had the amount of black smoke and soot that filled the air from the mills and refineries smoke stacks. Margaret found that the streets were grimier than she recalled and in a dangerous state of disrepair. Carriages swerved into oncoming traffic to avoid the large potholes that riddled the streets.

After hours of searching, Margaret decided to stop for afternoon tea, inviting Tommy to join her at the Harvey Milton Hotel, which distinguished itself with a dining area light by gas lanterns that gave the illusion of a sunny day when the sky was tainted a gray blue from the smoke.

As Tommy and Margaret had their meal, Samuel Boucher, ran though the streets of Milton looking for his oldest brother, Tommy, and the new school teacher. A new face in Milton was not hard to find, so when he inquired on the street about his brother and a stranger, he was eventually directed to the Hotel by Mrs. Finch, who ran one of the bakeries in town, who noticed the pair entering the hotel as she washed down her front step, ready to close her shop for the day. Sam smoothed his chestnut colored hair down with a few sweeps of his fingers and checked his reflection in the mirror before entering the dining area unnoticed.

"Where do you think you are going, young man?" An older gentleman wearing the uniform of the hotel staff asked as he placed a firm hand on Sam's shoulder. For once, Sam had a legitimate errand down town and the geezer was going to throw him out, thinking he was up to mischief. "I've a message for Miss Hale, you see?" he held out the envelope to show the man his purpose.

"I am familiar with your ways, Boucher. What are you up to? Who is Miss Hale?" Sam looked through the doorway to the dining room and found the lady in question sitting with his brother. "You see there?" he pointed in their general direction. "All in black, she is. Just there." The desk attendant followed Sam's directions and located Margaret and Tommy. He snatched the letter from Sam's hand.

"I will take that." He said firmly.

"But, Sir! I was told to deliver it to Miss Hale myself. I'm to wait for an answer."

"Who gave you your instructions?" The man asked haughtily.

"Why Mr. Thornton, of course."

*****

Margaret read the short note and looked to Tommy. "Mr. Thornton has asked that you bring me to Grace's Point, if you feel up to it." She directed her question to Tommy, who looked paler than he did before the day's activities started.

"Yes, Miss. I will take you." Tommy said resolutely. Sam stood by his brother and objected. "It's a long way, Tommy. You should take a cab, or I can take you Miss?" Sam's soft brown eyes sparkled beneath a long fringe of lashes. His look could only be described as cherubic.

The desk clerk cleared his throat. "I believe you said that you were to return an answer to Mr. Thornton?"

"Awww, that's right. I have to go back and tell Master you are going. You go Tommy."