Chapter 42

Manik felt something pressing on the back of his head. He turned around and stumbled in fear.

Rohit looked at the ground; the goons were firing mercilessly. He looked at Manik snuggling in his arms. He hugged him tightly, feeling his body trembling.

He had to escort him out safely, but the question is how? The whole college was surrounded by the goons, and he is not sure what to do. He looked down at the ground.

Manik, with a sidelong glance, looked at the ground which was covered with blood and dead bodies. Some blurry images flashed in front of his eyes, making a shiver run through his spine.

Manik's trance broke when he felt someone dragging him. He looked at Rohit. Manik held his arm, stopping him, "Bhai... hum kahan ja rahe hain?" Manik questioned. Rohit turned around, feeling a tremble in Manik voice.

He cupped his face gently, "Daro mat... Arjun bhaiya ko inform kardiya hai... Mere sath ayo," he said softly and again started walking.

While Rohit was dragging him, Manik turned around to look at the ground. He was about to look forward when his eyes got stuck on a man. A blurred picture flashed through his eyes. Before he could think more, he got pushed into a room by Rohit.

Manik got confused when he realized Rohit had brought him to the library, "Bhai... library?"

Rohit didn't reply; instead, he looked around. When Manik didn't get any answer, he followed Rohit's gaze. Rohit was looking at the window.

Manik's confusion cleared, and he realized what was going on in Rohit's mind.

"Kiddo, stool lekar aa," Rohit said, going towards the window and pushing it open. Manik looked here and there. There, in the corner, he spotted the stool. He went there and picked it up. Just when he was about to place the stool under the window, it fell from his hand upon hearing a gunshot.

Rohit immediately pulled him into his embrace, and Manik hugged him back, "Dar mat kiddo... Mein hona... Jaldi karo," Rohit said.

Rohit kept the stool under the window and signaled Manik to jump, "Ro par tu." Shaking his head, "Mein bhi araha hun, tu pehle ja." Manik shook his head stubbornly, "Nahi nahi, pehle aap."

Rohit sighed but nodded nonetheless, he climbed on the stool, closing his eyes he took a deep breath and jumped.

Manik saw Rohit jumping out of the window, he sighed tiredly, he stood there for a few minutes to gain the courage. Just when he was about to climb the stool, he felt something being pressed on his back.

He turned around slowly. He stumble in fear upon seeing the man holding a gun on him, "Kyu apne aap ko bahut shana (intelligent) samajhta hai?" the man pressed his fingers onto the trigger. Manik closed his eyes, ready to face whatever destiny held for him.

THUD

The sound of a gunshot echoed around the room, making the entire room fall silent. Manik slowly opened his eyes and looked down to see the man dead with blood all around. He looked at his hand and clothes, which were splashed with the man's blood. A memory of a dead body flashed through his mind, making his head spin.

He looked at the door and saw police officers coming towards him, at the center; he saw his brother. He smiled at him, at peace, and closed his eyes, allowing his body to hit the ground.

Before his body could touch the ground, Arjun immediately ran toward the boy, wrapping one arm around his waist and the other arm behind his head.

He caressed his face, which was covered with bloodstains.