NONCANON One-Shot: As Long as You're Happy: Part I (Greninja)

Greninja lied against a tree, deep in thought. Dried tears stained his cheeks, and his tongue scarf was unraveled back into his mouth.

Today was supposed to be normal. He was still clearing out the vines plaguing Kalos, but was slowly nearing the end of it all. Only a few spots with them remained, then he'd be done. He could do as he pleased. He could return to his trainer.

He could go see Serena and her again.

But now, all those hopes were dashed.

All he did was take a small break to patrol Lumiose City. Look around, visit Clemont and Bonnie, the usual stuff he did.

But as he began making his way back to the rooftops of the nearby buildings around the Lumiose Gym, he passed a large appliance store. There were a few TVs in the front window, but there was only one he was interested in.

A live broadcast of the Mauville City Pokémon Contest.

There, in the front window, he saw her for the first time in years.

Braixen, Serena, Pancham, Sylveon- they were all on some sort of stage. Celebrating. They'd probably won another performance or something, as they were clearly happy. Serena then let out two other Pokémon to celebrate with them.

One was an Altaria. The other was a Lucario.

Greninja, though he'd never show it, was happy for all of them. They put their hearts and souls into these performances, and it was always satisfying to see it pay off.

He should have left before he saw what happened next. He should have just accepted that they won and got a move on.

But he didn't. He stayed and kept watching.

The Lucario proceeded to kiss Braixen.

At first, he was surprised and a bit speechless. That was HIS girlfriend there, and this Lucario felt he could just kiss her then and there. Hadn't she told him beforehand that she was taken?

Regardless, Greninja was sitting there, eagerly waiting for Braixen to shove him off and give him a piece of her mind.

But she didn't. What she did was far worse.

Greninja kept watching as Braixen's look of surprise... turned to one of happiness. She began kissing him back, and being pretty forward with it. They clearly liked each other.

Time seemed to come to a standstill. Greninja couldn't believe what he was watching. None of this could be real. Braixen... his beloved Braixen, his mate, the one who he loved and was promised by her that she loved back... kissed another man.

And she was enjoying it.

Greninja couldn't take it anymore. He sped off onto the rooftops of Lumiose City. He needed to leave as quickly as possible. He needed to run. Run somewhere no one could find him.

And now, here he was. Sitting by his lonesome, feeling heartbroken, betrayed, and depressed all at once. All while crying like an idiot.

Everything she promised him was a lie. Promising to wait for him.. a lie. Promising that she'd always think about him.. a lie.

Promising that she'd love him no matter what... a lie. All of it was a lie.

The image of Lucario and Braixen kissing was burned into the frog's mind. He wanted to forget he ever saw it, but his mind wouldn't let him.

All the memories they shared were like stabs at his already shattered heart.

The time he cleaned her tail when she was a Fennekin and he was a Froakie. The various times they've flirted with each other when they were a newly evolved Frogadier and Braixen. The time she'd finally confessed her feelings to him as a Greninja, just days before the Kalos League.

Right now, it all meant nothing to him.

Greninja looked up to the afternoon sky, watching with watery eyes as two Fletching flew by.

He smiled.

"That's alright.." he softly muttered. "As long as you're happy... I'm happy. I promise."

Greninja then freely cried. He didn't care who saw him anymore. All he could do was wonder what in Arceus' name he's done to deserve this.

He wasn't sure if he wanted the answer.