Chapter 36

Our dour expressions soon faded when we entered the city. People rushed out from their homes to see the two royal guests that arrived in the South. They all waved their arms cheerfully, it was such a stark contrast from the attention we had near the gate that it almost seemed unreal. But it was enough for Sokka to finally crack a smile again, causing me to do the same as we directed Zuko and King Kuei to city hall.

" ... A modernized harbor would not only give the world access to our tribe, but also our tribe access to the world," Dad explained, showing the designs of the harbor they're constructing, "And finally, we would like to establish embassies in both your nations. We, of course, invite you to do the same. And that, my friends, is our vision for the future of the Southern Water Tribe."

"Here here! Here here!" Sokka clapped.

I motioned to him in hopes he'd get the message and calm down a bit. Although by doing that he seemed more excited than ever so I just breathed out a small laugh.

"As I'm sure you can imagine, the Southern Water Tribe's economy has been — How should I put this? —
Under extreme duress for the last century. We don't have the proper resources to make this vision a reality. And that's why we're asking for your partnership," Dad concluded.

"You can count the Fire Nation in, Head Chieftain Hakoda." Zuko said, reaching under the table to hold my hand with a smile, "Your people have suffered so much destruction at our hands. We are grateful for the opportunity to help you rebuild."

"I'm sorry that the Earth Kingdom can't offer our support so readily," Earth King Kuei interrupted before Dad could extend his thanks to Zuko," We have so many of our own needs back home. But if I could show my advisers that the Southern Water Tribe is going to make measurable, concrete progress towards civilization-"

"Excuse me?!" Katara scoffed.

"Oh, Dear. Please, forgive the clumsiness of my words, Katara! I should have phrased it differently. Of course, what you already have here is a form of civilization. We would simply want you to achieve a higher form!," He said nervously, causing me to cross my arms ," In fact, we'd be honored to help the Southern Water Tribe develop into a cleaner, safer place! And perhaps warmer, too."

"With all due respect, your majesty compared to the outer ring of Ba Sing Se, the South Pole is â€" " Katara tried to argue.

"Head Chieftain Hakoda!" Akando ran in with sheer panic on his face, "We've just received an alert from the prison! Gilak and his army — " Suddenly he fell back, a boomerang had hit him in his lower spine.

"Are here," Gilak finished, with a determined expression he scanned the room.

"Akando!" Sokka and I yelled as he groaned, unable to get up.

"Look at you, 'Head Chieftain' Hakoda, so eager to sell out your tribe to foreign masters!" He yelled before pointing angrily at me," And you! So willing to defend them aren't you. Our home means nothing to you! The memory of my son means nothing to you!"

I could feel a knot grow in my throat from his words. Knowing he would accuse me for everything, he needed someone to throw the blame on after all. However, still having those words thrown at me hurt no matter how much I tried to prepare myself for them. I bit my tongue, pained that he had to bring Rui into this conversation and seemingly shaming his memory for the sake of his ideologies.

"Officer Lirin?! You're with them?!" Dad asked the officer who led him in.

"I'm sorry, but Gilak is right about our tribe. We're in terrible danger and you're too blind to see it!" She replied.

"Don't you hear the cry of your people, Hakoda?!" Gilak said, preparing to stand his ground.

The rest of the group yelled in unison," Foreigners out!" Before lunging to attack us.