Chapter 28

A month had passed since we brought Zuko's family back from Hira'a. Word from Sokka was that the Yu Dao inauguration went smoothly even without us present. It was a relief since Zuko had an influx of work at the palace now with the change of seasons, it would've been difficult for Zuko to have caught up with it all if he left for Yu Dao.

The whole time, despite being busy we were all still tense from what happened with the new Ozai Society. Even if we didn't show it, we all decided to just try and focus on having Lady Ursa and her family adjust to the palace and tend to state affairs.  However, Lady Ursa and her family had seemed just fine living in the palace. Despite the fact when we would all eat together anyone could tell Kiyi was still distant to her mother. As dusk came Zuko and I took a break to be in the palace garden for a while. We watched as the sun went down for a brief 30 minutes before returning to work.

In an average sized room with simply four chairs and a stack of paperwork Zuko and I were discussing about relief efforts for the coming dry season. Everything was going well until we were suddenly interrupted.

"Fire Lord Zuko, Secretary Gou has requested an audience with you," Announced a court lady.

Awkwardly pausing with brush in hand Zuko looked at me with confusion, as if I had asked Secretary Gou to come. It was already late but all I could do was shake my head in response, I couldn't understand why he was in the outside the room either.

"Alright," Zuko sighed, knowing if poor Secretary Gou was still working at this hour it meant bad news," Let him enter,"

"Fire Lord," Secretary Gou said bowing," Lady Kya. I don't wish to be the bearer of unfortunate news but-" He paused nervously.

"What is it Secretary?" Zuko asked in concern.

"There have been news of child abductions  from around the capital," Secretary Gou said, wincing as he finished speaking.

"What?!" Zuko exclaimed.

"Do you know how many children have been taken Secretary?" I asked.

"No," He replied sadly," But there's an estimate of 2 families that have made the report. But no officials had been told until at least two days after the first report,"

"Two days?!" Zuko and I said in unison.

"We don't know why local officers haven't reported anything to their superiors," Secretary Gou responded.

Could this be from the New Ozai Society? Those bastards.

Just as Zuko tried to speak again the the doors flung open, it was Suki. Out of breath, seemingly having run here with worry was written all over her face. Just by looking at her caused a heavy wave of dread to wash over Zuko and I.

"They took Tom-Tom!" Suki announced.

Those three words caused the entire room to fall silent as we all scrambled for some sort of reasoning as to why this was all happening. So much anxiety came over the four of us present no one could utter a single word. We were already worried, but having someone you know also be taken is all the more frightening. There wasn't even a single clue where to even begin searching for the missing kids and we all feared if it'd happen again.

After a few moments Zuko collected his thoughts.

"We'll leave early morning to visit Mai," Zuko said, quickly glancing at me.

"Suki, you and the Kyoshi Warriors look after the palace while we're gone," I added, following Zuko's lead," If word spreads the palace needs to remain safe for most people to maintain a level head,"