Chapter 1 | Which, believe it or not, was hard for a man who had an erection.

September 17, 2027

"Is everything okay, Eric? You spent the last twenty minutes staring at the ceiling silently. Do you want to talk about something? I know it's not my business, but I'm here to listen!" my latest fling, Samantha, informed me with a hint of distress in her voice, suddenly being concerned about my aggravated well-being.

A little too late, if you ask me.

She should have started with her series of questions before she got me into her bed with the intention of fucking my brains out.

The only thing I had the strength for now was to sit in silence until it was time to leave.

"Are you going to ignore me?"

I gave her a brief glance before I finally contemplated saying something in return, my intention being to put an end to her surprising emotional support.

"You are absolutely right - it's really not your business to question me."

I quickly exited the small bed I had spent many nights in attempting to fall asleep, heading to the nearest bathroom to relieve my brimful bladder.

I couldn't believe that the girl who initially wanted to keep things completely casual between us was coercing me into spilling the beans about the sudden death of my parents.

On top of all, I had gotten into a huge fight with my best friend yesterday morning regarding that matter, so I wasn't exactly prone to share.

And why was I supposed to share anything anyway?

After all, that was the beauty of our relationship - it was based on a no-strings-attached policy.

But more importantly, no questions asked.

I didn't know why she suddenly had the desire to ruin something so casually beautiful, and I didn't intend to find out.

Unfortunately, fate had other plans for our spontaneous relationship.

After I entered the closest bathroom I could find, my first task was to lock the door behind me in a hurry. I didn't want Samantha to barge in and become even more determined to find out why I was not in the mood to socialize with her today.

But I guess it was not entirely her fault, she just had this nasty recurring habit of caring for the emotional state of the people around her.

While I, personally, couldn't care less about anyone else but myself.

Especially lately.

Sadly, that didn't stop her from standing outside of the compact space intended for basic human necessities, once again making an effort to ease my inner pain while I was emptying the content of my vesical.

Why was she so persistent to get to know me better? Weren't our sex sessions enough of a familiarization?

"I'm really trying here, Eric. I know we agreed to keep things casual, but I am starting to get worried. You don't look like yourself today." she tried yet again to get me to talk while I was trying not to leave a mess after myself.

Which, believe it or not, was hard for a man who had a persistent erection.

"Do you really want to know the truth, Sam? You are the one who wanted a situationship in the first place. I was just the one to set some boundaries." I asked her sincerely, having a sudden exigency to share the news I had learned yesterday morning through an unexpected phone call from the local police.

I knew Sam was just trying to help me, but I never asked her to. I didn't need a shoulder to cry on. If anything, I was starting to get even more agitated than before.

I just needed to be left alone.

"I know you have trouble understanding this, but I care about you. The only reason why I suggested for us to be friends with privileges was because everyone knows you are a player. I didn't want to get hurt. But I guess the heart wants what it wants. And that's an honest relationship."

In what other way I was supposed to explain that I wasn't a fan of group therapy? Samantha and I weren't even supposed to continue fooling with one another after we realized that we weren't compatible when it came to sexual entanglement. Now she wants me to be more open in an emotional manner?

As if!

If anything, I was going to become even more careful sharing anything about my personal life.

I truly hope she was happy that she destroyed something that started as the perfect stress relief for my complicated existence.

Because after today, I wasn't so sure that I wanted to keep waking up in her bed almost every morning.

"I don't think we should see each other anymore." I blurted out to her the second I was out of her expansive lavatory.

I quickly found the way back to the room I was so determined to leave just a few minutes earlier.

Not so surprisingly, I couldn't find where I had hidden the clothes I wore a couple of hours ago.

How was I supposed to leave this house only wearing a pair of trifling shorts?

I had already done that once and an older woman almost had a heart attack.

I was not about to let it happen again.

"I gave your clothes to the maid, so she can put them in the washing machine." my fling appeared almost out of nowhere, giving me a minor scare.

Fortunately, I was able to keep my composure long enough to calm myself down before doing something I was definitely going to regret in the long run.

It was almost as if Samantha was purposely slowing me down, so she could somehow find a way to break through my persistent defensive system and get to know me better.

Why did everything have to be so hard? Why wouldn't anyone listen to me?

The past two days have been such a mess.

"What do you want from me?" I desperately questioned her while I sat on the bed I had spent a substantial amount of time on.

I had finally lost my motivation to fight back, so I might have as well taken a seat. It was not like I was getting anywhere anytime soon.

"A little bit of trust. Something awful must have happened today. I can see it in your eyes. You can't fool me, so just give me a chance, okay?" she said with a certain amount of honesty in her voice that even someone like me could register with ease.

For a very long time, I fooled everyone around me into believing that my life was picture-perfect.

I don't know how, but I did.

Even my own best friend never put two and two together and we were very close, keeping in mind that we spent every second in the presence of each other.

So how did this girl, who I had never even met until three months ago, finally figure out the harsh truth?

Was she the only person who truly cared for me in this ungodly town?

How was that even possible?

"Fine, whatever. But you must promise not to tell anyone!" I simply stated, finally ready to tell another person how unfortunate my life had been up until this moment.

Her affirmative nod was more than enough to get me started, bringing both of us back more than a decade into the past.