Trust

Janet POV
"I need...to tell you something," he stammered, his face looking a bit red, I wondered if he was blushing or just really hot. It sure was sweltering in the hospital. We were outside Sandy's ward, waiting for the news.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Well...it's just, I'm really sorry for everything I did over the past seven years." He whispered, a touch embarrassed.

It took me a while to admit it, but after I thought through everything that happened yesterday, how he stood by my side, how I could place my trust in him and how he trusted me, I finally admitted, "I think...it's forgiven. But can you just tell me...why did you start it in the first place?"

Fang paused for a while, as if perplexed by my question. But seeing the genuine confusion on my face, he explained, "You see...back then, on my first day of school, I was bullied by those jerks who wanted my money. So when I was left embarrassed in the alley, and you came and laughed at me, I was...very angry. Because I was stuck in that situation, and I needed help, but you and your friends just giggled and stalked off without offering a helping hand, or getting someone to help me, at least. I know I overreacted...but I hope you can understand the anger and hatred I felt in that moment. I'm not saying that my actions were right. Back then, I believed they were, so I got those three thugs expelled. But I couldn't get you expelled, and truthfully? I'm...glad I didn't."

"Why? So you can hurt me more? Or for something else?" I returned, a bit confused, a bit bitter, not even noticing what he had said about me laughing.

"No..." He scratched his head and said softly, "Because if you were gone just because you had laughed at me that time, I would never get to know you so well. We wouldn't be here today if I had succeeded. And I wouldn't have realised something...new."

"Wait," I interjected, finally hearing the keyword. "I wasn't laughing at you, I was trying to hold back my bile. I ate something odd that day, and the sight of you humiliated there, and the smell of that disgusting alley, made it boil over."

Surprise changed his face with the new revelation, causing him to hang his head as he apologised sorrowfully and a bit guiltily, "I guess I made a snap judgement then. Which means...all this pain I caused...it was not only hurtful and useless, but also unprovoked. I'm...really sorry."

I felt like arguing more. But I knew in my heart I had forgiven him. So I stayed silent.

He took the opportunity to tell me, "I'm sorry for everything I did, all the anger and hurt I caused. But I need to tell you something. You probably won't like to hear it, but I need you to know why I may...change...around you from now on."

This time, I was looking at him with a hint of curiosity, but I was wondering if I already knew what he was going to say.

No.

There was no way.

Couldn't be.

That was only my dream.

"Recently...my feelings for you have begun to change. And I'm not sure how, why, nor what it will change to. But all I know is that I'm confused. And maybe, if you're willing, if you want to, if you feel the same way, we can figure it out together." He suddenly confessed.

A gasp echoed from my lips, shocked that I was right. But slowly, my smile spread as I realised this was what I wanted. It was my fate, my destiny. So I whispered, "Maybe...I'd like to."

"Really?" He asked in the same tone.

It took me a while to nod and say, "Yes. Ever since yesterday, I realised that...I trust you now."

"You trust me?" He asked softly.

"I think...I do," was my only response.

And I could already feel the sparks flying, yet hear the alarm in my head going off.

But he grinned and stared at me with those piercing eyes, saying, "You're quick to forgive. I like that."

And as he pulled me into his tender embrace, I pressed my lips against his, for a kiss to seal our bond forever.

Instantly our relationship through the years flashed in my eyes.

It was definitely rocky at times, but maybe all the hate was a defence mechanism to protect us from the secret love. And now that we were ready to face it, ready to forgive, ready to move on...

We could finally start afresh.

"Trust me," he whispered, letting me lean against his shoulder. "I'm never going to give up on this."

And that was the new beginning of a new era. A new chapter in the book of life. A new phoenix that had risen from the ashes.

The perfect start to the perfect love story.