Their Gang

Janet POV
"What do you want, Fang?" I scowled at him, his best friend Edgar and his girlfriend, Bibi.

Fang laughed, "That's not really a way to talk to your superior, is it?"

"Mind your own business," Leon retorted, glaring at the trio and pulling me away.

"When do you think you're going?" A girl with stark-white hair blocked off our exit, leaning against the wall and showing her razor-sharp teeth.

"Colette, get out of the way." Leon ordered to Edgar's girlfriend. She just cackled, "I don't take orders from measly little brats."

Fang stalked so close to us that I could feel his warm breath on my cheek as he bent down and warned me, "I'm going to make your life a living hell, Janet. To punish you for what you did."

Even with his being nearly two heads taller than me, his incredibly muscular frame, his angry stare, I didn't feel intimidated. I countered, "Mind telling me what that is?"

Fang glowered at me, snapping his fingers in annoyance. "You guys deal with her. Bibi, let's go."

The Retropolis girl stalked off with the blue-haired bully, throwing a hateful glare at us before she and Fang descended down the stairs.

"Now, little brats, you still feeling so confident?" Colette snapped, opening her mouth wide and raising an arrow. I knew it all too well—it could home in on enemies until it hit, and dealt a massive blow with that. Edgar was cornering us, his scarf flapping around restlessly as it longed for battle. His eyes were narrowed as he advanced slowly, forcing us to back up.

I shot Leon a look, hoping it meant 'it's time to go'. He gave me an understanding nod as I wrapped my hand around his waist, taking to the sky. We quickly raced down the hallway as the duo chased after us, pushing people away in their haste. People noticed us and started throwing things at us too, wanting to knock us down. And in that very second, I wished I could have some supporters that were at least on my side.

And then, Edgar leaped into the air, barely missing us. Just then, a sharp bark rang out, "No flying in the halls! I've told you multiple times, Janet!"

"Sorry, Mr. P," I whispered as I set myself and Leon down. "Edgar and Colette are chasing us."

Mr. P glare at the two students trailing after us, shouting, "Harassment is not allowed in this school!"

But Colette whipped out her phone and threatened, "Want me to call Fang's father, the president of our city? He'll remove you from your post in a second."

And that was how the four of them always managed to escape from trouble. For us? We had to rely on our own modes of stealth. So Leon turned us invisible as Mr. P, afraid, stepped aside to let them pass. But we had long disappeared.

It took us an hour before we went back to our dorm, having gobbled down dinner speedily. Breathless, Leon and I bolted the door of our room, panting, "That was a close call."

"Why does Fang seem so much angrier this year?" I murmured.

"I think it's because it's his and your final year here," Leon told me. "It's his last year to get revenge on you for whatever he claims you did."

"Well, this can't keep going on," I sobbed. "I can either stay here, and get mauled and harassed emotionally, or go home and withdraw from National High and go to another school."

"Whatever you choose, I'll be there to support you," Leon whispered, pulling me into a tight embrace.

But I was too sad to even feel the sparks fly anymore. Some people said life had its ups and downs—but for me, there only seemed to be an eternal downhill track. And I wondered, what happened if I hit rock bottom? What if I went to the end, and there was nowhere for me to go? Was that where I would end?

"No," I told myself. "From now, if change doesn't come, I will force it to come. And I'm going to start by making allies. Allies who I can trust in, who trust me, who support me. If not, it's game over forever, and I can never save myself from that pit of darkness."