Mysterious Memories

Fang POV
"Whoa!" I dove to catch my unconscious girlfriend before she fell straight onto a pile of broken glass. "You need help, Bibi..."

"Shit," I murmured as I wrenched open the door. "I need somebody to help me open the door when I get down to the office."

I pounded the door of my neighbour worriedly, looking at Bibi's serene expression. I was feeling the exact opposite, wishing quietly, "Don't die on me, Bibi...I can't lose you..."

"Ow!" I groaned as a sharp pain pierced through my mind, causing me to almost drop Bibi. I set her down and clutched my head in agony, murmuring, "No, no, not now!  I don't have time for this crap! I need to get...to..."

My words faltered as I fell into yet another sea of black haze, from which another shard of the vase, another jigsaw of the puzzle, emerged from the darkness and a hazy vision blurred out the rest of my thoughts.

"You see...back then, on my first day of school, I was bullied by those jerks who wanted my money. So when I was left embarrassed in the alley, and you came and laughed at me, I was...very angry. Because I was stuck in that situation, and I needed help, but you and your friends just giggled and stalked off without offering a helping hand, or getting someone to help me, at least. I know I overreacted...but I hope you can understand the anger and hatred I felt in that moment. I'm not saying that my actions were right. Back then, I believed they were, so I got those three thugs expelled. But I couldn't get you expelled, and truthfully? I'm...glad I didn't," I confessed.

"Why? So you can hurt me more? Or for something else?" She asked, a bit confused, a bit bitter.

"No..." I responded softly, "Because if you were gone, I would never get to know you so well. We wouldn't be here today if I had succeeded. And I wouldn't have realised something...new."

"Wait," she interjected. "I wasn't laughing at you, I was trying to hold back my bile. I ate something odd that day, and the sight of you humiliated there, and the smell of that disgusting alley, made it boil over."

Surprise changed my face with the new revelation, causing me to hang my head as I apologised, "I guess I made a snap judgement then. Which means...all this pain I caused...it was not only hurtful and useless, but also unprovoked. I'm...really sorry."

She seemed like she wanted to argue more, with that feisty look in her eye that I admire so much. But she kept silent.

I took the opportunity to tell her, "I'm sorry for everything I did, all the anger and hurt I caused. But I need to tell you something. You probably won't like to hear it, but I need you to know why I may...change...around you from now on."

This time, she was looking at me with a hint of curiosity, but an expression that made me wonder if she already guessed from how I said it.

"Recently...my feelings for you have begun to change. And I'm not sure how, why, nor what it will change to. But all I know is that I'm confused. And maybe, if you're willing, if you want to, if you feel the same way, we can figure it out together."

A gasp echoed from her lips, and she seemed shocked as she processed what I had just admitted. But slowly, her smile spread as she whispered, "Maybe...I'd like to."

And she leaned towards me, the smell of her perfume wafting in through my nose and...

Woah. The scene ended suddenly, and I was left in my subconscious thinking, What was that? Why was I...

Until the much bigger question reared its head.

Have I fallen in love with Janet?