➤OP-18 // SHIFTING_TIDES

The hum of the fluorescent lighting; was like a mosquito on a summer night. Pecong Merah was sat down in an interrogation cell, his legs bandaged and his gear stripped from him leaving him in a prison uniform, and a muzzle strapped to his face. "Was the muzzle really necessary?" I asked, listening to the crack of Yani's fists against him.

"He bit off the ear of one of my men while in transport," Arief explained, not breaking eye contact with Pecong Merah. "I think the muzzle is more than necessary."

"He hasn't cracked yet, we've been at this for hours..." Nokk sighed, tapping the one-way glass. Yani whipped off his gloves before leaving the room. "We've tried almost every trick in the book, what I'm getting out of this is that he's insane."

"Like a rabid fucking dog," Yani groaned, holding a cold water bottle next to his knuckles. "Eye contact with me the whole time."

"If Tiana were here, she'd have him cracked already and I'd be back on hereford drinking," looking through the file after we ID'd Pecong Merah, he was former Indonesian Navy and one of their top dogs when it came to hunting down targets. "Anything from Nighthaven yet?"

"Wamai and his men are working to clean up the last of the mess from this bastard," Arief sighed, taking the file from me. "What makes someone turn from a well payed position in the Navy to psychopathic hunter."

"A good hunting dog will catch rabies eventually, it just a matter of how long till they turn on their owner," glaring at him through the mirror, it felt like he was looking directly back at me. "Let me go in."

"No way, he clearly has something out for you," Nokk spoke up almost immediately, throwing me off for a moment. "We'd be playing directly into his hands."

"I'll be fine, if thats what it takes to get any information out of him so be it." I insisted and nodded to Yani who unlocked the door. "Besides you're all watching incase something goes wrong."

I stepped into the interrogation room, it stunk like dried blood and rot. Well that probably was because of the dried blood and rotting ceiling. Pecong Merah gave me a smile from behind his muzzle as I took the seat across from him. "You come here to torture me too?" He grinned.

"No, I came here to talk." I answered. "Since you don't seem willing to talk to my friends out there."

"Their all dogs compared to you, young wolf." He shuddered his words, almost making me sick with how he said it. "They chase and bark, but only you know how to Hunt."

I dropped a fist to the table, "What the fuck are you even talking about. That's all I hear from you about this dog and wolf stuff." He was playing icecapades while people were out there dying to clean up this mess. "I have questions and you got the answers."

"Only if you answer mine."

"Fine then. I'll go first." If I wanted anything out of this I needed to play his games. "Who are you working for."

"I serve the angels of death, who feast on the dead when the blood is spilt." He said, his eyes piercing right through me like a pair of knives. "We are The Keres Legion, and You are one of us."

"Like I'd ever be a psychopath like you." I replied, noting down his answer. "How'd you manage to get to the top of the White Masks. They're not cheap."

"Ah-Ah-Ah, my turn, young wolf," He spoke up, wanting his side of twenty questions. I stayed quiet and waited for his question. "When one tells only truth and the other tells lies who will you believe?"

"What the fuck does that even mean?" I stared blankly. "I don't speak in riddles."

"How much do you truly know about your allies?" He trailed on his words. "When the hens left the coop, who comes after the eggs?" As I pondered his words, an audible crack came from his mouth as he suddenly began foaming at the mouth.

"Fuck– Someone Get a Medic!" I screamed, jumping out of my seat and tried to unbuckle the muzzle. It was a stupid idea but he's the only lead we have, trying to reach into his mouth with my hand and scoop out the foam. Arief and a few medics burst through the door, one ushering me to the side as they tended to Pecong Merah. "Fuck..."

"At least you got something out of him," Nokk leaned against the doorframe, I couldn't help but agree, if only we could get something more clear out of him. "Don't beat yourself up too bad, we got who he's working for."

"Like a needle in a haystack," I groaned, taking my leave and joining her back in the office. I'm starting to think Sam didn't send me on another small OP – Night haven, the white mask ring, and now a new faction: The KERES Legion. Brushing my hand through my hair, "I need to give an update to Sam, I'll be right back."

"Don't take too long, Wamai's on his way back." Yani spoke up, not breaking his gaze on the medical scene. I gave him a brief nod before taking my leave

I found an empty meeting room, making sure to lock the door and close the blinds before dropping my bag on the table. Some of the evidence I collected from the Oil rig and the ship were packed in ziplock bags: Pecong Merah's mask, his machete, and the KERES Legion patch. I sent out the call to Sam who picked up at the ready, alongside him was Harry, Ash, and Mira; the other three heads of Rainbow. "Full house tonight?"

"Wouldn't miss it for the world, Ethan," Harry chuckled, I could see a kid or two running in his background. "Hey, you two out of my office, daddy's working!" We watched Harry get up to chase his kids out of his spacious office.

Ash cleared her throat, "While he's busy with that, Ethan you said you have an updated regarding the situation in Indonesia?"

"Right– Yeah, there's been a complication regarding the trafficking circle here." I reached over and picked up the bag containing the mask. "This guy, Pecong Merah has been running the whole circle, working with or employing the numbers of local white mask cells."

"You took down their leader, that's good. But what else does this bring us besides that you took down the ring?" Sam asked, taking a sip of his coffee. "Not to discredit you or anything."

"That's where things change, Sir." I added, picking up the KERES Legion patch. "This is where things get more rocky." Sam's eyebrow raised. "Theres a new faction in play, they call themselves The KERES Legion, and it seems like they know quite abit about Rainbow."

"The Keres Legion?" Ash mumbled.

"Greek angels of Death," Sam answered. "Fitting."

"Sounds like stereotypical badguy to me," Harry gasped out, sitting back down after getting his children out of the room. "Anything else about them Ethan?"

I scratched the side of my face in thought, "Yeah...He mentioned something about who can I trust? When the hens leave the coop, who takes the eggs or something like that?"

"What you're implying is that there is a traitor in Rainbow?" Mira asked, I nodded in response. "If any information were to leak from the Rainbow databases then all of our secrets, personal lives, and technology would be at risk."

"This is going to cause some problems, but we'll sort things out from our side. The lot of you, just focus on making it back to base." Harry instructed. "Clear?"

"Crystal," I nodded. "Speaking of, how's the invitational going Harry, who ended up winning?"

Harry was motioning at his neck for me not to mention it as Sam was preparing to leave, definitely, something big had happened and only then did I notice Ash was fuming. "Ah, I think we should end this call for now, see you back on base, Ethan," Mira spoke up with the voice of reason.

"Right." I ended my side of the voice call, packing up the evidence back into my bag. "I'm going on vacation after this is over...Luckily things won't be getting any more hectic."

Right before I could leave the meeting room, I could overhear arguing down the hall, sounded like it was getting heated. Then suddenly, without warning, gunfire erupted. I immediately pulled up my mask and clipped on my helmet. At the same time, Wamai's voice came through the radio:

["All Units be advised, Rainbow Six operatives are marked hostile. Capture or Kill."]