Chapter 35

"Wow, you woke up fast," Eiling mumbled as I slowly came to. "You must have really good regenerative capabilities, even for a demon."

I lifted my head off the wooden table and rubbed the side she'd hit. My back still hurt slightly from contorting into such an uncomfortable position after falling over, but at least my head didn't hurt anymore. But I stopped mid-rub as I felt something strange.

"Seems you noticed my little discovery. Unlike me, your body seems to react to injuries by healing super quickly, and reverting back to its previous, demonic state. That new horn of yours is proof of it, even if it is still kind of tiny."

My eyes widened with shock. "Wait, you just knocked me unconscious over a theory that I might regain a piece of my horn?"

"That's what engineering's all about: testing to see what works. And I was right, wasn't I? Now all that's left is to beat you up a couple more times and we'll both be heading back in no time!"

I stood up and clumsily backed away from her. "Hold on. There is no way I am just going to let you attack me! I haven't even agreed to any of this!"

"Well don't you want to get back home?"

"Of course I do! But this- this is crazy! You want me to willingly hurt myself, and for something that we aren't even 100% sure will work. This is crazy!" I shouted.

Her expression turned cold. "I'd do anything to get back home. Guess I just thought you would too."

We glared at each other for a moment, each waiting for the other to say something.

When neither of us budged, Eiling finally bit out, "Leave then."

"Fine," I spat back.

Turning sharply on my heels, I stormed out of that dreary house. I didn't bother closing the door behind me and stomped my way back home.

That angel was completely insane. I wanted to get home, yes. But there was no way I could trust her on this! It would be one thing to help her build a new teleportation device thingy, but to hurt myself for her twisted experiments? That just made me seem like some messed up test subject!

There had to be another way back home that didn't involve that psycho, and I would find it on my own. Angels are never to be trusted, that's well-known by every demon. They're known for their intelligence, sure, but also for their cunning manipulation. Angels would sacrifice everyone and everything to get what they want, and their leader is the worst of all.

It is said that the strongest, which in this case meant most intelligent, angel is crowned the sole ruler of all of them. The angels' leader has incredible power over the minds of others. It is believed that it's this manipulation by their ruler that keeps their realm so peaceful. They're forced to comply.

And here I was, almost willing to work alongside one of those sick creatures! Not only were her plans ludicrous, but she had no concern at all for my safety. I might be immortal, but she had no way of knowing that.

I slammed the door behind me when I entered the house, still fuming from my encounter with Eiling.

"Woah, are you okay?" Kevin rushed over to my side when he saw my anger. "Did something happen?"

I couldn't stop myself from shouting. "That crazy old lady! She has no concern for anyone but herself!"

"Seriously, what happened?"

After asking his question, Kevin seemed to notice something amiss. He examined me closer and spotted the new horn sprouted at the top of my head. His mouth fell wide open.