Chapter 10

I heaved over outside. I hadn't required this human body to run that fast yet. But I didn't want a reminder. I wouldn't force myself to relive that. Never again.

A soft, yet strong voice. A warm embrace. A gentle purr. These were all things I must forget. I had to be strong. Stronger than everyone else.

"Are you alright?" Kevin asked, leaning back to see me through the doorway.

"Yep, I am perfectly fine," I answered, voice quavering.

The memory of her never left. I even saw pieces of her in Melinda. That warmth and kindness they both radiated. I couldn't go back inside, at least not like this. I paced in a tight circle outside to calm down, attempting to block out all the noise around me. This was the drawback of such stellar hearing. I heard too much.

When I got to my sixth circle, Kevin placed his hand on my shoulder, forcing me to stop and face him. He took a sharp breath when he saw my face.

He asked again, "Are you sure you're okay?"

I shook off his hand and turned away, rehiding my face.

"Yes, I'm fine. I'm fine! Really. I'm just tired. Is that coffee done yet? That'll really help! That'll... really... help..." my voice trailed off.

That was just an excuse. And I knew that. But I needed something, anything to keep me distracted.

"You boys still here? Yer coffee's ready!" Melinda called.

The timing couldn't be better.

"Perfect! Can you grab those, Kevin? I think I saw something, um... real important over here!"

I left without waiting for his answer. There was half of a small twig nearby I could stare at. I picked the broken stick up without a second thought and twirled it around like Maya's pencil. This was better. Much better.

Don't think, just twirl. Don't think, just twirl... just twirl...

A sweet, bitter smell wafted over. Kevin carried two cups of coffee, offering one to me. I tossed the twig over my shoulder and grabbed the cup he offered me, immediately taking a sip.

"Ooh! Hot, hot, hot!" I shouted, almost dropping the cup.

Kevin stopped me from taking another sip. "Slow down, Jaye. I know something's bothering you, but please don't hurt yourself because of it."

"I didn't burn my tongue on purpose! How was I supposed to know your coffee tasted like fire?"

"There's steam. It's in an insulated cup. It's literally coffee! Do you really not remember any of these things?" he asked, agitated.

"How am I supposed to 'remember' things I've never learned? Just because I don't know what this stupid drink is doesn't mean I'm some spineless fool!" I snapped back.

What gave him the right to call me stupid? He was just a measly human! What did he know? That's right. Absolutely nothing.

He looked speechless. "Woah, I never said any of that. Don't put a bunch of words in my mouth. Look, let's just all calm down."

"Yeah, you should calm down," I agreed, as bitter as the coffee. "I think I'm done for today."

My throat stiffened. Even in a realm devoid of water, it never felt this dry. I forced myself to take another sip of coffee, this time slower. Kevin took a sip of his own coffee, lowering his shoulders a little.

"You know what? Sure, let's head back," he agreed in a calmer voice.

We walked the whole way back in complete silence.