Prologue

"This is what I call a target-rich environment." Maverick smiles as they walk through the bar, their white naval uniforms on.

"You live your life between your legs, Mav." Goose replies to him.

"Goose, even you could get laid in a place like this." Mav smiles patting his back

"I'm telling you, I'd be happy to find a girl who'd talk dirty to me." Goose replies walking up to the bar counter. He looks up and spots a pilot from earlier. "Mav, you want to know who the best is? That's him. Iceman. That's the way he flies, ice-cold, no mistakes. Just wears you down. You get bored, frustrated, do something stupid, and he's got you." Goose points out taking a swig of his beer before turning around. "Hey, hey, Slider. Thought you wanted to be a pilot, man. What happened?" Goose asks, playing with Slider's badges.

"Goose, you're such a dickhead. Whose butt did you kiss to get in here?" Slider questions.

"Well, the list is long but distinguished." Goose jokes.

"Yeah, well, so is my johnson." Slider returns, downing a shot.

"So you're flying with Iceman?" Goose asks.

"It's Mr Iceman to you." Slider bounces back.

"Hey, Mother Goose. How's it going?" Iceman says, shaking hands with Goose.

"Good, Tom." Goose shakes before introducing Maverick. "This is Pete Mitchell. Tom Kazansky."

"Congratulations on Top Gun." Iceman replies, turning to Pete.

"Thank you." Peter shakes his hand.

"Sorry to hear about Cougar. He and I were like brothers in flight school. He was a good man." Tom tells him.

"Still is a good man." Pete says.

"Yeah, that's what I meant." Tom replies.

"Thought so."

"Say, you need any help?" Tom asks Pete.

"With what?" Pete asks.

"You figured it out yet?" Tom questions, a smile on his face.

"What's that?"

"Who's the best pilot?" Tom smiles.

"No, I think I can figure that one out on my own." Peter returns.

"I heard that about you. You like to work alone."

"Mav, you must've soloed under a lucky star? I mean, first the MiG, and then you guys slide into Cougar's spot."

"We didn't slide into Cougar's spot. It was ours, okay?" Goose interjects.

"Yeah, well, some pilots wait their whole career just to see a MiG up close. Guess you guys are lucky and famous?" Slider takes another shot.

"No, you mean notorious. I'll see you later." Tom tells Maverick and Goose before him and Slider walk away.

"You can count on it." Pete replies.

"They were abused children." Goose tells Pete.

"We're gonna have a good time." Pete smiles, clinking bottles with Goose.

"Always." Goose smiles before both take a drink.

"Okay, I guess it's my turn, isn't it?" Maverick says as a couple of girls smile and wave at him and Goose.

"All right, the bet is $20." Goose directs.

"$20." Pete nods.

"Right. You have to have carnal knowledge of a lady this time on the premises." Goose gives Pete.