A Conflicted Enid, a Panic Attack, and a Confessing Wednesday

Enid's POV

It's been a week since the whole Wednesday-Versus-Ajax fight happened, and honestly - Nothing has really changed. Ajax is still gone, but I still haven't said anything to Wednesday about my feelings.

Classes started up again. Too soon, if you ask me. Wednesday, though, was given another week off. But do you think she took it? No. Typical Wednesday. I tried arguing with her about it, but it was pointless.

"Girl you HAVE to tell her how you feel! She wouldn't have scared Ajax off if she didn't care about you. Don't you think? What if she feels something too?" The memory of Yoko's words play out in my head. I shoo it away, trying to focus on literally anything else.

The truth is, a part of me wishes Wednesday would tell me herself if she has feelings for me or not. She's not exactly a heart-on-her-sleeve kind of girl, so I don't want to confess my feelings for her and embarrass myself if she doesn't feel the same way. I don't want to accidentally make our friendship awkward, you know?

I can feel a headache coming on. I groan & lay my head down on the desk, blocking out the light as I wrap my arms tightly around my ears and forehead. I hope classes go by fast today.

Wednesday's POV

I walk in to first period, attempting to keep my eyesight down at the floor. This is my first day back since the night with Crackstone happened, and I can feel everyone's eyes on me. "Hero of the school," as they all say. It's nauseating. I don't like the attention.

I sit down at my desk and pull out my notes and textbook. The Professor begins lecture - History of Outcasts. Not my most favorite class, that's for sure. I notice out of the corner of my eye that Enid has her head down on her desk.

Is she okay? No- Get a grip, Addams.

I try to regain my focus, but unwanted emotions start to creep out of their hiding spots. It's been a week since I had that vision & forced Ajax out of Nevermore, and Enid hasn't said anything to me about it since.

Maybe I truly WASN'T the someone she was referring to in my vision. God, why does that thought have such a sting to it? I can't help myself- I look back over to Enid's desk, only to be met by the gaze of her blue eyes staring back at me.

I lock my gaze in on the textbook sprawled out in front of me, pretending as if I didn't catch Enid blatantly staring at me. I'm trying to ignore the fact that catching her has resulted in an unfamiliar, warm tingling sensation in my chest. How unsettling. How... Pleasant?

No.

The more I try not to focus on it, the more the words in the book in front of me blur to gibberish. I can feel a stinging of salt forming behind my eyes. The air suddenly feels too thick to breathe in. I go to grab my belongings so I can hurry out before something emerges that gives everyone a show. But the annoyance of being flustered causes my hand to pull too hard, and my textbook clamors down to the floor. If all eyes weren't on me before, they certainly are now.

"Miss Addams, are you-" the Professor starts, but I'm halfway out the door before she can finish. I trudge as fast as I can to the bathroom, my legs feeling like I'm walking through mud. I finally reach the restroom and the second the door swings shut, Hurricane Wednesday is released.

What is this? Why is this happening? Why am I unable to hold back these tears, unable to catch my breath? Is this a panic attack? It can't be. I am not an anxious person. This makes no sense.

I topple over to the sink and throw an icy splash of water onto my face. The sudden coolness shocks me back to reality. My breath is finally catching. Just as I'm gaining control of myself, the door swings open.

I look up, and as I lock eyes with the intruder to my moment of weakness, the stinging feeling returns to my eyes.

It's her - Enid.

I take in a sharp breath of air. "What do you want, Sinclair?" I say coldly, trying not to make eye contact.

"I... um... Professor Lavinia asked someone to go check on you. I... figured you'd prefer me over someone random. Are you alright?" She stutters.

I bring my gaze up to my reflection. Unable to recognize the being staring back at me. Emotional. Reddened, teary-eyes. Unable to form cohesive thoughts. This situation is absolutely horrifying, and I'm starting to believe I've gone mad.

".....Wednesday?" She says. I realize I've been staring at myself for too long and didn't actually answer her.

"I'm fine, Enid, I just-" I start, making the mistake of meeting her gaze once again. Something pulls deep in my stomach at the sight of her. Her eyes are wide, with what I assume is worry. Normally I'm able to deflect any confrontation from those concerned with my feelings. But Enid.. God. I hate to admit that Enid has a way of making it through to the deepest parts of me in a way that's incomprehensible. As if she's found a weak point in the barricade I've built around my emotional side.

"I'm fine." I spit out, quickly wiping my eyes and rushing to head out the door. I need air.

Just as I'm about to pass her, she does the unthinkable and grabs my arm. "Wednesday." She says, a bit more stern inflection in her voice this time. She pulls me so I'm now facing her, and I damn her werewolf capability of being physically stronger than me.

"If you don't unhand me right now, Sinclair, I'll- I..." I want to yell, I want to threaten her like I do to anyone who dares lay their hands on me unwillingly. But something makes me stop. My brow furrows at this frustrating conflict going on in my head.

"Wednesday Addams, I know you're totally not emotional and act like you don't care, which is why this moment is so much more worrying for me. You've told me before that crying solves nothing, yet here you are. Clearly something is wrong, and I'm not letting you go until you get whatever it is that's going on off of your chest. Threaten to suffocate me, or cut off my hand, I don't care. Spill, Addams. I'm serious," Enid scolds.

I stare harshly at her, and then sigh. I can feel my suppressed feelings starting to boil over, and the need to spew them out is burning in the back of my throat.

"Fine." I spit, and out comes everything I've been trying so hard to avoid speaking aloud. Especially to the one who's the causation of all this emotional turmoil.

~ ~ ~

(AHHH i'm so sorry this chapter took FOREVER to put out — i'm in school full time and also work full time, so it's hard finding time to dedicate to writing !! but here you go, friends !! a HUGE thank you to those who have been reading this series !! more to come !! <3)