An Annoyed Nurse, An Excited Wolf, & an Unexpected Vision

Wednesday's POV

The rest of the week consisted of an exasperating loop of physical therapy, medication taking, more physical therapy, and the most treacherous of all – Nurse assessments.

"Miss Addams, we HAVE to examine you to make sure your wounds are healing properly!" A nurse speaks in a tone that she thinks will intimidate me. I glare at her. "Touch me and you'll be the one laying in a hospital bed having countless people trying to poke and prod at you," I reply.

She rolls her eyes and turns to leave the room, thankfully. "Cannot wait for you to be discharged tomorrow, the nerve! Honestly..." I hear the nurse mutter on her way out.

I can't wait to be discharged either, for what it's worth. I need to return to some sort of normalcy. I miss my typewriter, I miss having the structure of classes and homework assignment deadlines to meet. I even miss my classmates, strangely enough.

This entire Crackstone ordeal made everyone's bonds with one another grow stronger. Trauma really does make the heart grow fonder, or whatever it is they say.

My saving grace of this torturous week has been Enid. She's been alongside me through every physical therapy session, eaten most every meal with me, and has definitely made my parents question whether or not the stabbing broke some sort of wall of the dark castle that is my personality. They're not entirely wrong though.

The glowing ball of light, better known as Enid, has managed to make its way through the darkest corners of said castle. She quite literally saved my life. A life I previously didn't think I would be scared to lose. But coming to a near-death experience really does make you realize how much you have; How meaningful the people in your life truly are.

~ A day passes ~

Enid's POV

I wake up to the sound of the alarm I set, bright and early at 6AM! Today's such an exciting day – Wednesday gets to leave the hospital! I look over to her side of the dorm as I sit up.

It really has felt lonely with her not being here. Her bed is covered with cards and gifts from everyone wishing her well. I hope she likes my contribution to the gift pile.

I get up out of bed and rush to get ready. I don't want to waste a single minute. I just want my Wends back!

I make myself blush at the thought of 'MY Wends', as if we're some sort of couple. But you want to be, dummy! I shake the thought away.

That is one thing I'm planning on discussing with Wednesday, once she's settled back in and the chaos of returning to school settles down. I HAVE to ask the awkward question of "what are we?"

But first I'll have to face Ajax. I'll save that for another time. Today's a happy day!

I put my headphones over my ears and turn on my favorite playlist for the walk to the infirmary. I just can't wait to see her again. It's only been a little over 24 hours, but it feels like a century.

The weather is gloomy today. It's overcast and smells like it might rain. Wednesday will love it. A memory of her saying how petrichor is her favorite scent plays out in my head. It makes me smile. Underneath the stone-cold front she puts on to block people out, she's just a girl with her own admirations and cute quirks like everyone else.

I make my way through the front entrance of the infirmary, to the right of the nurses station and up the stairs to room 210. The same path that's been memorized into my brain for three weeks now.

Wednesday's POV

It's 7AM when I finally decide to give up on attempting to sleep. I tossed and turned all night in anticipation of getting to leave today. It's been the longest three weeks I've ever had to endure. I look over out the window, feeling a sense of comfort at how overcast it is. Maybe I'll be able to get some sleep today while it rains.

Mother slept overnight with me to help me settle back in at the dorm. She wakes up at the sound of me getting up to go to the bathroom.

"Good morning my beautiful raven. How did you sleep?" she asks.
"Great," I lie before closing the door of the bathroom. She doesn't need any more reason to worry about me. This has been hard on her and Father enough.

"I'm going to fetch some coffee darling, I'll be back soon!" she calls from behind the door. I hear her greet who I assume is a nurse on her way out. Even more great... These nurses have been the bane of my existence. Trying to touch me any chance they get despite my endless refusals.

I finish in the bathroom and begrudgingly walk back to the bed. The sight of bright blonde hair and the scent of vanilla stops me in tracks. So it was Enid that Mother greeted. Not a nurse.

"Good morning roomie!" Enid exclaims. I soften my gaze. "Hello, Enid."

She skips over to me. "Here's some of your clothes to change into before we leave! Figured you didn't want to wear what you came here in," she says, placing a brown bag from the Weathervane on the nightstand that she used to carry the clothes in.

"Thank you." I say flatly. I really am happy she's here. I'm just so tired. Enid sits on the edge of the bed next to me and wraps her hand around mine. She's the only person I'll allow this sort of contact with.

A nurse walks in and immediately rolls her eyes at us. "So you let HER touch you, but not the people who are just trying to do their jobs? I see," she says while crossing her arms. I don't say anything. I'm just ready to leave.

"Wednesday? You have to let them at least look at your stitches. What if they're infected?" Enid huffs at me with worry in her voice.
"They're not infected." I reply, avoiding eye contact.
"You'll have to stay here longer if they are! It doesn't hurt to just be cautious. Come on Wends-"
"Don't call me that," I cut her off.

I can tell the nurse is growing impatient. I don't care though. She's not touching me.

"I'd rather risk the infection. But they're fine. I'm not an imbecile. I know what properly healing stitches look like," I mutter, still not making eye contact.

The nurse sighs loudly as if it'll make me feel guilty. "Well, here's your discharge papers. I'll need you to sign AMA forms stating you're choosing to leave against medical advice as we aren't supposed to let patients leave without proper examinations. But I'm sure that won't stop you," the nurse says. She leaves the stack of papers at the foot of the bed. "Good luck to you, Wednesday. Please stay out of trouble," she sighs with a final glance at me on her way out.

"No promises," I whisper.

Mother returns from her coffee-fetching venture. "Oh Enid, so great to have you here as always! I just knew you'd be coming by early today. Here's a coffee for you!" She coos at Enid. My parents just adore her ever since they learned she's the one who saved me. It's quite repulsive.

"Can we go please? I've been ready to leave this place since the minute I was admitted," I spit coldly. "Yes of course darling, let's go," Mother replies.

I stand and grab the Weathervane bag Enid brought, rushing to the bathroom to get dressed.
I soon re-emerge, grabbing the stupid papers at the foot of the bed and scribbling my name on the AMA form.

Enid grabs ahold of my pinkie finger as we three walk out. Mother notices, but doesn't say anything. It's not hard to know exactly what she's thinking though.

Soon after Enid grabs my finger, I feel a tingling rising up my neck. My head suddenly snaps back as a vision takes over my eyesight.