An Adrenaline Rush, a Wolfing-Out, and a Bloodied Student Body

*Please read the description for context of this story!*
__________

The dagger comes at Wednesday so quickly that she doesn't have time to recoil or react to Crackstone's sudden motion. "Now burn in the eternal fires of Hell," Crackstone spits in Wednesday's face, his expression darkened with such a deep, evil presence that makes even Wednesday feel taken-aback.

A gasp escapes from Wednesday's lungs as he twists the blade in further. Hot. Burning, no— Seething pain. Excruciating.

Crackstone retracts the blade, causing Wednesday's body to protest; Every alarm sounding in her nervous system that lethal injury has occurred. Panic perks up every goosebump that her body is capable of producing, bile rising to the back of her throat.

Wednesday stumbles back, her spine eventually finding a wall to collapse into. She slides down the wall until she slumps onto the cold floor of the crypt that will soon be known as her final resting place. Black specks begin to cloud Wednesday's vision.

"Sweet dreams, Wednesday!" she hears Thornhill call out, and in that moment Wednesday swears she could kill Thornhill with the anger in her gaze alone, if she wasn't suffering this damnation that is mortality.

Dying doesn't feel nearly as exhilarating as Wednesday had imagined. This feeling is cold, nothing like the sweet embrace she had once pictured. The black specks in her vision are growing as Wednesday begins to think of what this means.

She was meant to be the savior of Nevermore. She was the one to finally piece together the puzzle of all the recent murders, to have found what was hiding at the Gate's mansion, to have the Master of the Hyde revealed. All of it meant nothing now. Thornhill will win. Nevermore will be destroyed, exactly how this pathetic pilgrim envisioned so many years ago. Heat rises up the back of Wednesday's neck and into her face at the thought. She grits her teeth. For a second, the black specks subside.

Wednesday thinks of Eugene. Of how there would be no justice for him. Everything he went through because of her. The heat in her face turns into what feels like a boiling point.

Finally, of all people, Wednesday thinks of Enid. How Wednesday put her through such deception to go to the Gate's mansion with her to look for some sort of evidence. How she put Enid in danger when Tyler tried to chase them out as the Hyde. The memory of Enid leaving Wednesday in their dorm room alone out of anger replays in Wednesday's mind.

The boiling anger spills over, and Wednesday lets out a scream. A shockwave of nerve rushes through her body, and the pain in her abdomen lowers to a manageable level. She stands on shaky legs, letting out another scream as the stab wound begs for mercy from the adrenaline fueling her to get up. She stands fully, giving her lungs time to catch up. It all hits Wednesday at once. The inconsolable rage in every atom of her being.

She picks up her legs, putting one foot in front of the other, the adrenaline flowing at full force. She can feel the blood seeping through her clothes, running down her legs, but in this moment, it doesn't matter. Too many people deserve justice over everything that's happened at this school, and Wednesday fully intends to serve it.

Wednesday breaks out into a sprint, her feet pounding on the ground of the woods in the direction of Nevermore. But something doesn't feel right. She slows down and pauses, trying to make sense of what feels off. Then it hits her — literally. Wednesday is thrown up against a tree by her neck. It's the Hyde. Tyler.