CHAPTER 6: A part of me

English:

I have always had a lot of uncertainty in my life! One of them was knowing if one day I would meet love. I'm not talking about the love of my family, friends, or my cats that I miss so much. I'm talking about the love of having someone by your side, who would share fun experiences, who would exchange affection, messages or even gifts. I know I said before that this would happen at the right time, but after I met you, this thought came to the surface. What am I feeling?

_____________________________________________

Today, everything went well at dawn. Luckily, Taerae had woken up earlier and made us a delicious breakfast. I learned how to ride the subway to get to work. It wasn't as difficult as I thought, and it was much more efficient than going by car. Finally, I found another good advantage for not getting a drive license. I arrived at the company at 7:20, minutes earlier than ideal, to pay for my delay from the previous day. Eunchan had arrived on time and we said "good morning" to each other. He probably noticed my good mood, because he asked if something had happened. I said no, I just felt like it would be an amazing day. We were focused on our work, when a few moments later, Mr. Lew called us for a meeting. Me and my six other officemates, including Eunchan, went to the meeting room. We were told that there would be a business trip and that someone from our sector would need to go. By the way, it would be a two-day trip. At that exact moment, some colleagues started saying they couldn't go, as they had children, families or other commitments. At this point I stopped to reflect that we were all adults, but I didn't have any of those concerns. Eunchan didn't either, but he had a doctor's appointment the next day and couldn't reschedule. With hesitation, I volunteered, even though I didn't know where we would go. I think I felt something like this would happen, as I had packed a pair of clean clothes in my bag in case of emergency, like spilling coffee on someone - who would do that, right? Lew told me we would leave after noon, so for now I could continue my work. Apparently, it would be me, the boss and three other people on this trip.

A few minutes before noon, I went out for lunch with Eunchan at a restaurant close to our company. He gave me valuable - and traumatizing - tips about business travel - which I prefer not to share here. It was a good moment of conversation. Almost on time, I waited in front of the company entrance. After a few minutes, a van parked in front of me. Lew was sitting in the driver's seat and signaled through the window for me to get in. I had a huge surprise when I opened the door.

- We meet again, Hanbin...

Not even in a million years I would have imagined that Hyuk would be in there. I felt slightly dizzy because it was something that I really wasn't prepared to face. If I had been warned earlier, I could have prepared myself for the situation (or perhaps I would have found some excuse to not to go). Completely embarrassed, I said "Hi", with a huge stutter. It was a van with two rows of passengers, in the first row there were two other employees, possibly from another sector of the company. In the second one, he was there. There was only the seat next to him available. Well, there was no way I could just run away from there, so I just sat down. The journey continued, we didn't exchange a single word for almost an hour. At one point, while distractedly admiring the landscape through the window, I feel something being placed in my ear. It was one side of Hyuk's earphones. I looked into his eyes with a look of astonishment and he returned me with a brief smile. Then a song from one of my favorite groups played. The name of the song was "Bluetooth". I found the name of this song related to the situation ironic, as it was a wired headphone, not a Bluetooth one. It was the perfect kind of music track for a road trip, it felt like I was in a music video. Suddenly, the van parked at an establishment in the middle of the road. Lew told us we could leave for a brief moment to go to the restroom or get something to eat. I got out of the car and Hyuk was right behind me. We went to the snack bar and bought some delicious savory snacks - I should have seen the price beforehand as those cost more than 10 shrimp flavored ramens together. I felt a little uncomfortable with the fact that Hyuk was walking with me, but I obviously couldn't turn to him and say "get out" so I just pretended to be full. He told me he wanted to go to the restroom, so I waited for him at the entrance to the store. After a few minutes, while I was distracted by a bird that had landed on the ground pecking at a crumb of bread, he decided to scare me. Remember when I said earlier that I was terrified of scares? So... at this moment I could only see everything turning 360° and I felt like my legs had lost strength. I was about to fall backwards and Hyuk held me by the shoulders, stopping me from falling. I could see his face in an extremely blurry way but he was clearly worried about me as I could hear his voice calling me repeatedly. At this point, I fainted.

_____________________________________________

I woke up thanks to a ray of sunlight that reflected on my face. I could hear the sound of birds flying and feel the cold breeze of the wind, which blew my hair in the air. My head was leaning on Hyuk's right shoulder. When I looked out the window, I could see that immense blue sea and its waves breaking on the sand. I hadn't felt that feeling in many years. Beaches have always been my point of peace, like a kind of therapy. I raised my head and involuntarily looked into his eyes. They were as bright as a beautiful diamond. That one person I think about every day since I met you came to mind. He raised his hand subtly and opened it. There was in his palm that beautiful shell that I had found the day before in my pocket.

Tell me who are you? Why do you both look so much alike?

_____________________________________________

"Guess who stole my phone and took a photo while I was sleeping

"Guess who stole my phone and took a photo while I was sleeping..."

27/02/2020