Unveiling Secrets?

In the expansive closet, reminiscent of a grand master bedroom, luxury permeates every detail. The room is tastefully furnished with plush seating areas, including velvet chaises and tufted ottomans, inviting one to relax amidst the opulence. Glittering chandeliers cast a warm, inviting glow over the space, illuminating the carefully curated collection of designer clothing and accessories. Custom-built shelving units showcase rows of immaculately organized shoes, while glass display cases elegantly exhibit precious jewelry pieces. Floor-to-ceiling mirrors reflect the room's decadent ambiance, creating a sense of endless refinement and sophistication.

Emily gestured towards a section of the closet, inviting Olivia to choose a set of pyjamas. "You can pick one you like. If you need something for tomorrow, feel free to choose an outfit too," Emily offered.

But Olivia's demeanour was tense, her words cutting through the air like shards of ice. "Emily Johnson, you broke your word," she accused. 

Emily, taken aback, raised an eyebrow in confusion. "When?" she inquired.

Locking eyes with Emily, Olivia's voice seethed with anger. "Just now, in the bathroom, with Alex," she stated firmly. 

Emily's nonchalant shrug confirmed Olivia's suspicions, stirring her deepest fears. 

"You told me I could trust you with your words!" Olivia's voice trembled with fury.

Emily's response was measured but firm. "You could. I wouldn't break it if I had a choice," she explained. 

Olivia's frustration bubbled to the surface. "So, Alex forced you?" she demanded. Emily remained cryptic, neither confirming nor denying. "He wouldn't," Olivia insisted.

Emily's icy tone matched the frost in her gaze. "Miss Winters, if I wanted to go back on my word, you wouldn't even be here tonight. I could easily expose you two to Grandma," she retorted. Olivia's expression darkened further, suspicion etched into her features. "Speaking of Mrs. Stratton, why was the surgery canceled? Did you say anything to her?"

Emily's face hardened, her voice laced with determination. "I care more about Grandma's well-being than anyone else," she declared. 

Olivia, staring at Emily's resolute expression, rolled her eyes in disbelief. 

Emily caught the gesture and responded sharply, "If you don't trust me, we can call off our deal."

Olivia, shocked and furious, struggled to contain her emotions. "Don't be mad, Emily. I do trust you. I was just... frustrated," she explained, attempting to extend a conciliatory hand. But Emily deftly avoided the gesture, maintaining a cautious distance.

"What are you two doing?" Alex's voice interrupted their conversation from the doorway. Olivia quickly adjusted her voice, "We're just choosing clothes. We'll be right out," she responded.

As Olivia opened the closet door, Alex's gaze met hers. "Got one?" he inquired. 

Olivia smiled at him and nodded. "Yes, I'll go back to my room now. Goodnight," she said, bidding them farewell.

Once Olivia had left the room, Emily emerged from the closet. 

Alex's expression was a mix of curiosity and concern as he asked, "What did you talk about in there?" 

Emily glanced up at him and replied coldly, "None of your business." Alex was taken aback by her response. "Just a few minutes alone, I wouldn't hurt her," Emily continued dismissively.

Alex frowned, realizing that wasn't what he meant. Emily turned away and went straight to bed, turning off the light on her night table. Seeing this, Alex turned around and headed to the bathroom to prepare for bed.

The next morning, when Emily woke up, she found the other half of the bed empty already. Rolling over, she checked her phone and saw that it was almost 9 am. Frowning at having slept in, she hurried downstairs to find everyone already at breakfast.

Olivia sat beside the elderly Mrs. Stratton, assisting her with refilling her tea. Though Emily felt a twinge of discomfort, the thought of Olivia eventually taking care of Grandma after her divorce from Alex brought a sense of relief.

Approaching the table, Mrs. Stratton waved at Emily. "Emily, you're up. Come have some breakfast." 

Emily greeted her grandmother with a smile, "Good morning, Grandma. How was your sleep last night?"

"Maybe it's because it's the first night back, I didn't get much sleep," Mrs. Stratton replied.

 Concerned, Emily suggested, "Maybe after breakfast, you can go back for a little nap."

"Don't worry," the elderly Mrs. Stratton assured her. "I'm okay right now. I'll go for a nap when I'm tired." 

Meanwhile, Alex sat silently, his eyes never leaving Emily since she came downstairs. However, Emily avoided looking his way as if he didn't exist.

As Emily sat down, a maid served her a bowl of seafood porridge, which puzzled her as she usually had orange juice instead of coffee lately due to her pregnancy. 

Mrs. Stratton commented, "You barely ate anything these days. I asked them to prepare something healthier for breakfast."

"Thank you, Grandma," Emily replied and took a spoonful of porridge. 

Just as Emily was about to swallow, a sudden wave of nausea washed over her, catching her off guard. Hastily covering her mouth, she left the spoon resting on the table, her movements abrupt and startling. The room fell into a stunned silence as everyone watched her hurried departure, their expressions reflecting a mixture of concern and confusion.

Alex was the first to react, his instincts kicking in as he stood up swiftly, his chair scraping against the floor. Without a moment's hesitation, he followed Emily, his strides purposeful as he moved to catch up with her. 

Meanwhile, Olivia, her panic evident in the way she dropped the toast on the table, scrambled to her feet and hastened after them, her footsteps echoing in the tense atmosphere of the dining room.

With each step she took, Olivia's heart pounded in her chest, the weight of her secret threatening to suffocate her. She knew that if Alex were to find out, it could change everything irreversibly. Determined to shield the secret at all costs, Olivia quickened her pace, her mind racing with thoughts of how to avert a potential disaster.