A Lifesaver

The next day,

Emily awoke feeling unwell, her body warm to the touch. She requested a warm glass of water from the maid and fetched a cold and flu tablet from the medical drawer. Just as she was about to swallow the pill, a sudden realization struck her. Quickly, she spat the tablet into the bathroom sink, the bitter taste lingering unpleasantly. Clinging to the vanity, she attempted to rinse her mouth, only to choke on the water.

"Are you alright? In such a rush," Alex's deep voice resonated from the bathroom doorway. His tone, filled with concern, made her startle slightly.

Turning to avoid his gaze, Emily muttered, "I took the wrong pill, that's all." She quickly exited the bathroom, leaving Alex behind, watching her with a puzzled frown.

He had sensed something was off with her ever since he returned home. They ate breakfast in an uneasy silence before preparing to leave the house. Noting Emily's pallor, Alex offered, "Want to share my ride to work?" Emily, feeling lightheaded, was about to accept when Alex's phone interrupted them. He glanced at the caller ID—Olivia—and hesitated, trying to shield the screen from Emily.

Noticing his subtle avoidance, Emily quietly withdrew. She never intruded on his privacy or questioned his plans. Yet, Alex felt a pang of discomfort as he watched her walk away, a feeling that quickly dissipated as he answered the call.

Emily knew the caller's identity without looking and headed towards her own car in the garage. Shortly afterward, Alex received a text from her: "I need to get to the office early this morning, can't wait around."

Staring at the message, a fleeting expression of sadness crossed his face. The complexities of their marriage were laid bare, a relationship marked by convenience and unspoken agreements.

Emily slumped at her desk, overwhelmed by a pounding headache. Now that she was pregnant, she couldn't simply take a painkiller to alleviate the discomfort. Her emotions regarding the pregnancy were a tangled mess; the only person who would have genuinely rejoiced for them would have been Alex's grandmother. Others, particularly Alex himself, wouldn't be as welcoming. The knowledge of Olivia's return and Alex's unchanged feelings towards her made Emily feel even more isolated. She had briefly hoped that perhaps Alex might accept the child, that maybe, just maybe, they could begin to have something akin to a real marriage. But now, she knew better—Alex's first suggestion would be an abortion, considering it a necessary step to pursue a future with Olivia Winters.

Emily tried to convince herself that terminating the pregnancy might be the rational choice since there was no future for them together. "Emily!" called a sweet, girly voice. It was her assistant, Joyce Garcia. "Morning," Emily managed a strained smile.

Joyce's face clouded with concern. "Emily, you don't look so good. Are you sick?"

Shaking her head, Emily replied, "No, I just didn't sleep well last night."

"Really?" Joyce sounded skeptical. "You look really pale. Are you sure you don't want to take the day off and see a doctor?"

"I'm fine," Emily insisted. "Did you finish that report for Q1?"

Joyce nodded, handing over the report and fetching Emily a glass of water. Emily appreciated her assistant's concern, which coaxed a genuine smile from her. Still worried, Joyce suggested, "Maybe I can host the meeting for the Q1 review today. You could take some rest in your office."

Emily shook her head. "It's alright. I'll handle it." She felt obligated to maintain her responsibilities; she couldn't start shirking her duties, even with her health on the line.

With the report in hand, Emily knocked on the CEO's office door. "Come on in," called a low, cold voice. Pushing the door open, Emily froze as she noticed another presence in the office. Olivia Winters, clad in a cream, tightly fitted dress, stood by the window, her long silky hair cascading down her back. As Olivia turned with a sweet smile and embraced her lightly, Emily's body stiffened.