Turning the Tables

After dinner and a day filled with emotional ups and downs, the elderly Mrs. Stratton felt drained. As she prepared to retire to her room, she turned to Olivia and offered, "Olivia, it's late now. Would you like to stay for the night?" 

Olivia's thoughts were in turmoil, but upon hearing her name from Mrs. Stratton, she quickly shook her head. "No, it's okay, Mrs. Stratton."

"Why not?" Mrs. Stratton persisted gently. "There are quite a few guest rooms, and Emily can ask the maids to get one ready for you."

Hearing this, Olivia hesitated. Deep down, she wanted to stay, hoping to be closer to Alex. Reluctantly, she relented. "Alright, Mrs. Stratton. Thank you."

Emily caught Margaret's eye and murmured softly, "Margaret, please get a guest room ready for Miss Winters." Margaret nodded in acknowledgment, though her expression hinted at some reluctance. Meanwhile, Alex remained silent, his thoughts veiled behind a stoic facade.

After the elderly Mrs. Stratton left for her room, the maids quietly slipped out of the dining room to begin tidying up for the night.

Olivia turned to Alex, her voice tinged with uncertainty. "Alex, are you sure it's okay for me to stay here?" His response was flat and emotionless. "Yes, it's fine."

Turning her attention to Emily, Olivia pressed on, "Emily, are you sure you're okay with me staying here?" 

Emily felt a surge of frustration at Olivia's facade of politeness. Even if she didn't want Olivia to stay, Emily couldn't refuse in front of Mrs. Stratton and Alex. "I'm glad you're staying with us tonight," Emily replied, her tone strained. She lifted her chin to meet Olivia's gaze directly and added, "Do you need me to switch rooms with you later tonight?"

Alex's expression darkened with anger at Emily's suggestion, his gaze piercing. Olivia, caught off guard, stammered, "What do you mean?"

"I meant what I just said," Emily retorted firmly. "If you think about it, you'll understand." With that, she stood up and continued, "If you need me to, let me know." Without waiting for a response, Emily left for upstairs, leaving a tense atmosphere lingering in the room.

Olivia turned to Alex as he watched Emily leave. "Alex, sorry, I didn't know Emily would be mad. I should go home," she apologized, already starting to rise from her seat. 

But Alex reached out and held her elbow as she passed him. "Grandma asked you to stay, so stay for the night," he stated firmly.

"But..." Olivia began, but her protest was cut short by Margaret's interruption. 

"Mr. Stratton, Miss Winters' room is ready," Margaret announced. 

Olivia was taken aback; it had only been a few minutes since Margaret left, so how could the room be prepared so quickly? They must have rushed it and didn't treat her seriously, Olivia thought to herself. 

"You can go with Margaret to your room now. It's late; get some rest," Alex instructed, his tone cold as he turned to leave for upstairs. 

"Alex..." Olivia called after him, but he didn't pause, leaving without a moment's hesitation.

Upstairs in the bathroom, as she gazed at her reflection in the mirror, a smug satisfaction washed over Emily. The memory of Alex and Olivia's expressions downstairs fuelled her resolve. If Olivia wanted to maintain her facade, then Emily could play the game just as convincingly, she mused silently to herself.

Suddenly, the bathroom door burst open, catching Emily off guard. She turned around to find Alex stride in. Emily frowned slightly as Alex drew nearer. 

His once bright blue eyes took on a deeper, more intense shade as he spoke icily, "What you said down there, what do you mean?"

Emily replied carelessly, "What else could it mean? To make it easier for you two." 

Upon hearing this, Alex's expression grew even darker, and he leaned in closer to Emily. 

Instinctively, Emily pushed him on the chest to stop him from getting closer and said, "Excuse me, I'm done here."

However, Alex remained rooted in place. Emily tried to slip past him on his left side, but he shifted his body to block her path. 

Exhaling heavily, she asked, "What do you want?" Raising her chin to meet Alex's gaze, she persisted, "Just leave me alone and go to..." 

Before she could finish her sentence, Alex abruptly seized both of her shoulders and forcefully pinned her against the cold bathroom wall.

Emily felt the coldness of the bathroom wall seep through her robe as Alex's hands remained firm on her shoulders, rendering her immobile. Despite her attempts to wiggle free, she couldn't budge. Breathing heavily, she locked eyes with Alex and demanded, "What are you doing? Let me go!"

Alex returned her gaze with a darkened intensity. The bathroom light cast a shimmer upon Emily's bright brown eyes, making them glimmer like stars in the midnight sky. Her soft lips appeared alluringly radiant. However, remembering her earlier words, Alex lowered his body, pressing against her lips to stifle any more of her harsh comments.