8. Whispers in the night

Music Recommendation: 'Don't Blame Me' by Taylor Swift

The wind whistled through the trees and created an occasional sound in the eerily quiet night. The only steady sound was Rian's footsteps through the forest. He slowly walked back towards the gigantic infrastructure. The dried leaves that flew from the surrounding forest, into the school campus were being crunched under his footsteps. Though he was verbally silent, his thoughts were far from silent, more like chaos. But ironically, he found peace in chaos.

The nighttime revived his inner self like nothing else. He walked through the vast fields of the university towards the main building. While crossing the expanse of the land he heard some sound, more like an irritating noise. His face scrunched in disgust.

His eyes fell on the back side of the girls' dormitory, which was quite dark to make out what was happening. But with his blessed hearing abilities, it didn't take two seconds to understand what was happening in that dark area, supposedly away from prying eyes.

Repulsive sounds of moaning by a girl reached his ears, followed by a sickening giggle. Rian gave a side-eye in that direction and caught sight of platinum blonde hair, shining in the moonlight. He tsked quietly and rolled his eyes.

'How commendable, to make out in the middle of the night, at the back of the dormitory. How romantic, how thrilling. Nothing less can be expected from Vanessa Carter though', Rian's thoughts were full of mockery and his eyes radiated repulsion.

He shoved his hands in the pockets of his jeans and continued walking in the direction of the boys' dormitory.

'The day wasn't as boring as usual. In fact, it was quite the opposite', Rian thought with a smug expression. He whistled a famous horror lullaby, which echoed through the quiet place. He heard some footsteps rushing away from the place he had been earlier. A satisfied smirk graced his lips.

It was really fun to watch other people's distress. Though he was not a bully, a little bit of messing around every once in a while, enhanced his predatory intentions. After all, his dull and repetitive life can get used to some fun, can't it?

Suddenly he caught a sound, so out of place that it turned on his alarming nature. He heard some whispers echoing through the quiet night, disturbing the serenity to such an intensity that it made Rian's skin crawl.

'They are preparing. Be wary', he heard a voice in his head, which played like a person whispering in a distorted voice through an old telephone. All the relaxation and calmness of the night got drained to be replaced by deep-rooted hatred and ugly fear.

Rian's face became a mask of calm, like the one before a storm. All the dreadful memories flooded in front of his eyes. Smile, stillness, then blood, dripping from her eyes, nose, and mouth. The sight clenched and crushed his heart like nothing else.

The pain in his eyes was replaced by a burning hatred for those who caused such disasters in his life, years ago. His aimless relaxation was gone, and the urgency to inform about the whispers to Zagros Peterson, his only kin aside from Jade, crept into his mind.

He made his way towards the main building of the campus, and beelined through the corridors and hallways, to knock on the large mahogany door. His knocks were sharp and urgent, expressing that whatever matter he wanted to discuss, was extremely significant.

The door opened automatically after his third knock, revealing the minimalistic interior of the office, amidst which sat, Zagros Peterson, on his ultra-deluxe chair, behind his oak desk.

"What honor do I have to be visited by dear Rian?", asked Zagros, leaning back on his chair, with a relaxed smirk and a hint of meaningful glint in his eyes. "That too, this late? Must be something important", amusement coated his words with some hidden mockery.