2. Devil Advancing

Music recommendation: 'Dil Dhadakne Do' from 'Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara'

"Are you serious? What made you chop off your hair? Is that a new look? But I really liked your long hair", said Aunt Siya with a small pout.

Early morning, Shakti went to the parlor and chopped off her thick, luscious hair. Her mother used to brush those hairs and braid them. But Shakti was no longer keen on clutching those memories. Instead, she wanted to start afresh. She knew she had to and besides it would give her a new look, right? It took a lot of self-arguments and reasoning for her to embrace change. Though it was just her hair, it somehow connected her with her past and she didn't want her past to chain her present self.

"Auntie, change is mandatory, it's the rule of nature and we, the puppets of nature, must abide by those rules", Shakti said solemnly.

"Did you watch a philosophical movie or what? Now stop chatting and quickly bring your suitcases downstairs. Go!", Aunt Siya shooed away Shakti with a small smile. But her face was soon covered with anxiousness. "I hope she doesn't get into trouble due to her anger issues. God, why is her head always on fire? Only you can answer why she is such a raging fire. Her sour temper will cause trouble for her. But her condition back then was....", Siya shook her head and let out an exasperated sigh. Ever since the incident, Shakti locked all her intense emotions in her head, except her anger. As it was getting intensified every day, leaving a void in her heart. It was her only way of venting out her feelings. Other emotions were superficial, whereas her anger ran deeper than any other thing.

Shakti went upstairs and pondered about what to do. She went through her list of tasks. "Haircut- check clothes- check, then comes... yes, books and copies- check, admission letter- check....." and the list went on. She took one last look in the mirror. The new her stared back at her. She looked cool with her new pixie style. She fluffed through her small hair and put on her favorite rimless square glasses. Her spotless white sleeveless t-shirt paired with a green overshirt looked bomb on her. With a peachy lip balm, she was all set to head out.

She went downstairs with her bags and both aunt and the niece headed towards the garage to drive towards university where she was supposed to spend her next three years. She was in her first year when she lost her mother. So, she shifted to Town Acain to live with her aunt and uncle. She was starting from second year at the new university.

At the doorstep they met their neighbors who shifted here some weeks ago, Mrs. Watson along with her son who was two years older than Shakti. Mrs. Watson was a stout, chubby, and very sweet lady with a bubbly nature. She always had a welcoming smile on her face. Her son stood tall beside her who was looking at Shakti.

"Dear, I have seen you in your long hair and you looked very pretty, but your short one looks cute on you as well", said Mrs. Watson with a grin. Shakti thanked the lady with a smile. "Mention not dear. You see, my son wanted to bid you farewell as you are heading off to the university which some of us could only dream of. Before you both can bond well, you are leaving. He was very enthusiastic to talk to you.", said the woman. The boy looked red like a tomato, not to mention he was quite cute. He had curly black hair, black beady eyes, and a lean stature.

"Mom....", said the tomato. A cute nickname indeed! Shakti internally giggled.

He stretched his hand towards Shakti and introduced him, "Nice to meet you, Shakti, my name is Brian", said he with a sweet smile, identical to his mother. He had dimples on both his cheeks.

"Same here Brian. I am sorry I could not have a proper conversation with you both, and now I am going to the university." Shakti extended her hand and shook his.