1. New Chapter of Life

Music Recommendation: 'Unstoppable' by Sia

'In quest of achieving the world, will I discover my world?'

"Are you sure, dear, that you want to apply to that university? It has very tough competition and it's quite far from here", Shakti's maternal aunt asked her in concern. It was her fifth time asking the same question. But Shakti couldn't blame her aunt as she was her aunt's dear niece.

"I am quite certain about my decision Auntie", Shakti replied with a reassuring smile. "You know your niece; she doesn't do anything randomly. I came to know that it's the best university in the vicinity of this state. Though, I worry about a thing as well. But let me assure you it's not about my stay in the university; it's about the entrance exam. The viva was quite tough, but I hope my knowledge has overcome that barrier. Now let's pray to God, that I pass the exam with decent marks. And I will have to, you know why", said Shakti with some anticipation. She had to pass the exam to get into the prestigious university – 'Quantum Potente', her new and significant beginning.

It was a three-hundred-year-old university founded by some lords ruling that place and was being successfully run by their descendants. Though its history is somewhat messed up Shakti managed to get some vague information about the university. It is known for its historical importance as well. A perfect place to start the future! The university was said to be one of the best universities in the state. It is known for it's top-class education in all the streams of any possible career. But there was something else that made it famous as well, then it would be it's strict rules and regulations, something Shakti is unable to follow since childhood. Though she is a good and responsible girl, the ideology of overbearing and meaningless rules being associated with discipline was never well received by her.

Shakti was desperate to get into that university for many reasons. First and foremost was her extreme desire to prove her worth and fulfill her mother's only wish. Her mother always wanted her to be a successful and established lady. The wish that her mother was unable to fulfill was expected to be fulfilled by her, her mother's beloved daughter. She wanted her daughter to achieve the independence she lacked through her hard work and potential. Her mother has seen the potential in her, the potential of achieving immense success. Shakti is bound to achieve it; not only for herself but for her beloved mother.

Secondly, she was a burden to her aunt and her family. And it's surely not her imagination as the message had been conveyed loud and clear through the 'oh-so-welcoming' behavior of her uncle and his darling daughter. Though her aunt loved her dearly, her husband and daughter weren't much fond of her. Whenever she tried to strike up a conversation with them, they treated her as if they would be only pleased if she were as good as an invisible ghost. Initially, she was extremely sad and frustrated with their distant behavior. But a year of this silent 'care' made her habituated to it. All she wanted to do was to escape from this place.

Her uncle, Raj, would have been someone interesting to live with. His continuous remarks about everything, his thirst for perfection, and his desire to dominate everything around him will sometimes make anyone want to shut his foul mouth for once and all. Her elder cousin Reena, was another weird specimen of mankind. She was always jealous of Shakti and it was quite illogical as she had something which Shakti was desperate to have again. She was always bitter which increased profoundly since the time Shakti announced her decision to join the university. But there was more to the character of her kins which Shakti was yet to discover.

But the last reason might be quite absurd. It felt like some way that university was the only option for her. Like any other university wasn't for her. As if she was destined for that university. And she followed her gut feelings as it was always accurate. It was her sixth sense that warned her that unfortunate day. If only she could have acted on time. Her eyes glistened while reliving those memories.