Chapter 20: Rain Forecasts Death

The intention of leaving with never seeing Itachi die wasn't entirely foolproof as when he left the building. Moments later, there was a low cracking sound and a louder thundering before dust started seemingly raining from the sky. The thundering noise wasn't something Javen was unfamiliar with. He looked at the building right behind him, the one he just left, and as predicted, the ceiling had cracked open with an impact from the Uchiha brothers. They were above the building at this point, so Javen knew better than just standing there in full range of whatever happened next, so he began running, leaving the area in just the nick of time. He could feel the tail end of Itachi's fireball jutsu, the heat still searing his skin under his clothes. Javen knew no matter how skilled of a shinobi he was, this was not a fight he wanted to get in the middle of, so he quickly kept moving. He only looked back to watch black flames engulf trees and part of the building caused by Itachi's Amaterasu. Javen kept running until he was out of the tree line and backed away until he wasn't around anything that could burn. The Uchiha's had a way with fire that was amazing but so destructive; Javen knew that he didn't want to be caught in any of it. As soon as he was safe, however, all the bright, flashy flames stopped, and it went quiet other than the crackling of Itachi's Amaterasu, which was still burning the ring of trees outside the building. Then the rain started, and Javen knew it was almost over. It was common knowledge to anyone in the Leaf and in many other Villages that rain was a good forecaster of death, and now that Javen thought about it, it had been overcast all day as if the death of one of the Uchiha brothers had been fated and written in stone. Javen held his hand out and watched as the rain became heavier and heavier. A loud crack rang above him, and he watched lightning dance among dark black rain clouds. It was a downright downpour.

Javen's hair stuck to his face as he looked up at the roof of the building where the brothers probably still were, waiting and watching for any sign that it was all over. The lighting began to crack louder now, and Javen watched closely, only to realize that the lightning started to take over the sky, almost making the sky look blue again as it danced. Javen knew it had to be caused by a jutsu and then it hit him. Chidori. Sasuke had the intention of using Chidori to channel that lightning at Itachi. Javen sat now, knowing it would be over soon and Sasuke would end up exiting the building in a few minutes. Javen knew he would not survive thousands of lightning bolts, and Itachi would not either. He closed his eyes and turned his head, just in time for a flash of light that hurt his eyes behind his eyelids and then a loud crack. Javen waited for Sasuke to leave the ruins of where the building once stood. Javen was glad he had run this far but couldn't see what was happening. That was until two giant beings formed among the ruins; one seemed to be a knight or warrior shrouded in flames. That had to be Itachi's jutsu, but using that much chakra after he had already used his max would surely kill him. The other was several snake heads attached to one body. Javen felt chills and stood up very slowly. His body moved on its own, taking steps backward. Javen knew rationally that it had to be Sasuke's, but everything about it screamed Orochimaru, and Javen wanted nothing to do with it. His fear subsided when he saw the snakes seemingly swallowed up by Itachis jutsu. He didn't care at that moment if Sasuke was alive or dead, just that Orochimaru was dead.

Javen released a shaky breath and closed his eyes, tilting his head towards the sky, "Thank god."

He moved now towards the ruins, watching as the warrior shrowded in flames walked forward and then disappeared. That, that was it. He knew that was the end. He got closer only to watch Itachi fall to the ground and for Sasuke to stare blankly ahead.

"Sasuke!" Javen yelled to capture the youngers attention.

The younger Uchiha looked at him with empty eyes, and Javen knew he would never return from this entirely. He watched as Sasuke stumbled, and he managed to get to Sasuke in time to catch him and help him lay down next to his older brother's dead body. Javen looked over Sasuke's body for apparent wounds or injuries. Despite the severe lack of chakra, there was nothing too major that couldn't wait, so Javen started healing, his hands glowing green as he placed them over Sasuke. For a brief moment, he looked at Itachi with the hopes he might be able to act quick enough to bring him back, but Javen knew that that would have been useless. Even if he did manage, it wouldn't have been good for anyone to have both of the brothers alive. Sasuke needed to have killed Itachi or vice versa; it was the only way any Uchiha could grow. Every Uchiha Javen had met in his time had watched their loved ones die while young, even before the massacre, but maybe that was just the standard for a shinobi as Javen had watched dozens of Shinobi die in his youth.