Chapter 4: One of You Now

A/N: PICREW LINK: picrew.me/image_maker/399481/

Breaks weren't often for shinobi; it was just part of the job, so Kakashi and Javen were quick the following day to report to the Hokage about the mission.

Javen wasn't keen on telling the Hokage that he had told everyone that he was an ANBU and had done precisely what he wasn't supposed to. He could tell Kakashi wasn't keen on telling Lord Third that they took a mission that was too hard for the team.

When they entered the Hokage's office, Javen couldn't look up to meet his eyes. Lord Third could read Javen like a book, however, and he spoke before either of them could,

"So Kakashi, I suspect you know who Javen is now and his actual rank?"

Javen hung his head in shame as Kakashi nodded and spoke, "I did pressure him, but yes, I do know."

"Javen, raise your head." Javen listened to the Hokage before the man spoke again, "Javen, I do not hold it against you. I will be forced to strip you of your title as an ANBU should anyone outside your group hear about this, though."

Javen's gut twisted, and Kakashi must have noticed cause the man placed a hand on his back, rubbing it softly to calm him down. Javen could never imagine not working for the Hokage.

"Yes, Lord Third."

They then chatted about the mission; Hiruzen, of course, lectured them both about the level of the assignment before sighing and saying that he was relieved that at least everyone was okay. Before Javen and Kakashi were dismissed, Hiruzen brought up one more subject.

"The Chunin exams are coming up soon. I need Kakashi to decide with the other Jonin Team Leaders whether his kids are ready for the exams. Still, regardless if they are or not, I will be moving Javens rank down to genin momentarily as I need him to mentor the exam from the inside." The Hokage spoke, and Javen raised an eyebrow.

"Lord Third, I do not wish to question your motives, but I am way above chunin, or even Jonin, rank. So why would you want me in the exams?"

Hiruzen put his pipe in his mouth and took a long puff from it, "This is the most people we have ever let participate in the exams, and honestly, there have been some worrying signs. I know that if you were just a proctor, all the kids would just misbehave behind the scenes."

Javen nodded in understanding, "I understand. What about the one-on-one battles?"

"I want you to proctor the final exam, the 1v1's, and I also want you to try to stay out of genins way if you can help it. Go easy if you fight them."

Javen nodded, "Yes, Lord Third."

With that, Kakashi and Javen left the Hokage's office, and the men headed toward the Team 7 training grounds.

"I suppose we should tell the group, should we not? I told them to meet up with us first thing in the morning."

Javen shot him a look in disbelief. "We went to the Hokages first thing in the morning. It is way after that..."

"I'm making them practice patience."

Javen let out a long sigh as Kakashi ran ahead to sneak up on his students. They all met on the bridge near the training grounds, and Kakashi perched on the top, "Well, good morning, everyone!"

Kakashi waved from above, and the others gritted their teeth in anger at Kakashi's bullshit. Javen was still walking up the bridge as his sister yelled at the white-haired man.

"Why were you leaving us sitting here for hours?!"

Kakashi grinned and pointed at Javen, "We had a date!"